Friday, March 23, 2012

Back to my roots


Strange as it sounds I was back to my roots this past week.   You see my background and undergrad is in Education…and yes I did teach for a number of years until I realized I was a crappy teacher!   I guess teaching young children and adolescents is not my thing, fortunately for both them and me I realized it relatively early in my career – if you call seven and a bit years early.


TW graduating from Ballarat University - 1980
The company I work for has a Corporate University with three main campus – St Charles (45 minutes outside Chicago), Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) and London (UK).   Over the past couple of years I’ve had the good fortune to teach at all three.  In fact earlier this year I was the School lead at our school in Kuala Lumpur that primarily serves the management consultant practice in the Asia-Pacific region.


I’m not sure what it is about teaching in this environment but it is one of my favorite things to do!  I’ve tried to analyze what it is specifically and I’ve boiled it down to a couple of things, so here goes.


Firstly I think its partly the global make up of the attendees – literally there are people attending from every corner of the globe, you name the country we have someone attending from there.  The mixing of diverse cultures, languages and social mores makes for such an interesting and exotic collection of ideas, insights and conversations that it’s hardly a surprise that it’s new and fresh each time I teach in this environment.  


TW back left - Phys. Ed faculty - Nightcliff High School
Darwin Australia - 1984
Another biggie for me is how it aligns with my values of “giving back”.  The opportunity and ability to teach is my way of doing that I suppose.  I really enjoy the sound of my own voice (clearly, but I’m sure you knew that already) so providing my stories and color commentary on the various aspects of whatever course I’m helping deliver keeps it fresh.


Perhaps it’s just that I’m older and wiser and have more patience….  Nah, I’m still the same impatient (some might say other less kind things – yes I can hear the wheels turning) guy I always was but I think the difference is that you have a room full of enquiring minds who are there to really learn as much as they can in a short amount of time.  I’m not sure if anyone else feels the level of energy that I do but its palpable when I stand out front of a class or ballroom full of attendees.   Tapping into this electricity is I guess my secret to connecting with those in my classes.


This week’s course was about learning the art of the conversation.  Nothing too complex really - no books, no desks, no PowerPoint (I can hear the collective gasp from here… but you’re a consultant…pure heresy!).   I have them for a day at a time – a new class each day.  Six hours of learning how to have a conversation, now hard can that be. ☺  No I’m not making this up, there is a specific and “tried and true” structure and thinking behind this course.


TW centre - Core Consultant School 2008
St Charles, IL
My first instruction is that this is a “risk free” environment and what they will get from this course will be directly proportional to how much they are willing to put themselves out there.  Sounds difficult I know but to me it’s simple – just got to find a way to let your “curiosity” take root and then it’s a matter of following the “bread-crumb trail”.  Once you’ve unlocked that then the world is literally your oyster mate!


I don’t think I’ve taught this class without being blown away by how much the participants take on board and “give it a go” as we’d say in Australia.  Irrespective of language or cultural barriers the effort they put in is truly awe-inspiring.


I’m not saying that it changes lives, but it gives them a taste of the possible when it comes to having more meaningful conversations, whether it be in there personal or professional lives.  I always come away from these courses particularly jazzed about our company and the smart people we have working for us.


The bigger question is - did I really miss my calling after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment