Friday, June 17, 2016

Airport blues

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 
Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


This week I’m writing my blog from 35,000 feet as I jet my way to Vancouver, British Columbia, seat 18C to be exact...  

As I was heading to the airport this morning at 5:30 am I was mentally flipping through ideas for my blog, but it struck me that a huge part of our travel experience is through an airport.  And so, for better or for worse the variety of experiences is just as varied as the places we travel.  However, what I found is that irrespective of the country or city that you’re visiting there has been a significant shift in the traveling experience, some good others not so good. 

Take for example the monumental changes in security since 9/11…understandable, but not friendly to those having to grind through the long security lines, virtually get undressed then expose all of your belongings to x-ray machines under the ever watchful eye of the security guards with often police and military looking on – no fun or redeeming qualities in any of this.  To be sure it’s a painful and aggravating process that we all must endure. 

Any sort of complaint or display of frustration is dealt with both swiftly and harshly – yeah, I definitely don’t want to be on that no-fly list!  So we all grin and bear it because the alternative is both inconceivable and incomprehensible.

The melding of keeping people safe and treating them respectfully somehow got lost in translation, or perhaps it’s the incongruence between the fun and excitement of traveling against the backdrop of keeping the masses “safe” which puts everyone a little more on edge.  I find that everyone’s anxiety levels are significantly raised either via frustrations, impatience or often both.  We live with it, but no one likes the prospect of enduring this process no matter who they are.

Given that over the years I’ve traveled a lot!  Almost 2 million air miles is a significant amount no matter who you are.  Of course, like most of us we align ourselves early in our traveling career with certain airlines, hotels, car rentals to take advantage of the loyalty programs and pick up some perks along the way.  Why not!  :-)

Of my swag of air miles three quarters have been with Air Canada, and although I know that all airlines have their issues but I often find myself surprised, and not in a good way with Air Canada!

This morning, after getting through security I went to the Air Canada lounge, and grabbed some oatmeal.  Since forever there have been cranberries, raisins or brown sugar to add to the oatmeal to liven it up a little, which I always appreciated.  So this morning when I couldn’t find any of these I asked an attendant who informed me, a little too brusquely that they no longer providing these accoutrements…btw really didn’t need the bitchy face either. The arbitrary nature of this is no surprise when it comes to Air Canada, but really of all the things to cut? 

However, what I love most is the way they constantly go on about being voted the best airline in North America…to be clear that is a low bar my friends!   Every other airline in North America has driven our flying experience to all time lows with the nickel and diming of flyers, think - buying of those crappy disposable headsets, snacks/food and those infuriating baggage fees when you have to check a bag.  This is especially aggravating after "charging you like a wounded bull" for the ticket in the first place, and then not allowing you to take carryon but instead having to check it – it’s like a ‘win-win’ for the airline.  

I also love the bevy of ridiculous surcharges and taxes that are tacked onto the price of your ticket to over inflate the price of travel.  Can you say galling?  The most frustrating part is the hundreds of millions of dollars in profit they continue to wring out of traveling public, all the while lowering the bar on overall customer experience and the services they provide.  Just sayin! 

I’m not sure who votes for these awards, or even how to vote, but with the loss of my beloved cranberries and raisins I’m giving them a low score if I ever get asked.  ;-)

Okay, so where was I before I got sidetracked on my airline rant…. 

Oh yes, even after getting through the first hurdles of your airport experience somewhat emotionally unscathed, I often find myself immersed in a giant shopping mall.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it’s a far cry from the airports of even five years ago.  Can you say commercialized and non-descript?

Case in point is this morning I flew from Toronto’s Pearson International airport, which is arguably the gateway for travellers from all corners of the earth into Canada.  I endeavoured to take a step back and look at the airport with a fresh set of eyes and what I realized was that I could have been in any shopping mall in the world.  There was little to distinguish it Apparently I missed the memo on the fact that we were just going to substitute the airport for a giant shopping mall.

I was overcome with the feeling of emptiness on my realization that my airport had lost its way.  There was no unique identity, nor feeling of being welcomed into Canada or Toronto…just another faceless airport. 

It’s quite sad really, but like many things in life it seems that the travel experience has been completely sanitized at the price of creating an exciting portal that readies you for an adventure or welcomes you home with a warm embrace after another life changing experience.  Nope, bland and boring are the only words that spring to mind.  Eek!

As you know I travel a lot, so don’t get me wrong Toronto is not alone…almost every airport I’ve been in the last two years is almost identical.  Seriously I could have been in any country in the world this morning - same brands, same feel...

Okay, TW get over yourself – it is what it is.  That being said I feel better with sharing my inner most thoughts with you, although I’m not sure you do?  ;-)

Now that I’m on the plane all of these worries fall away as my excitement builds for my adventure to Vancouver.  Another of my favorite North American cities nestled high in the Pacific Northwest, surrounded by snow capped peaks and with the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean lapping at its feet – one of the most picturesque cities in the world bar none!  I worked here from 2007 to 2011 and so very excited to be coming back even for just a short visit.

Stay tuned in the next couple of weeks for what I’m expecting to be some spectacular photos from the series of shoots I have planned.

Ciao Ciao!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”

A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Episode 49: Accused 

Within minutes of arriving inside the Citadel which is Hanoi's military headquarters the prisoners were led one by one from the vehicles that had transported them from the Old Quarter.  Mai was helped from the car by an awestruck private who showed her to an adjacent building, while Anh was led purposefully toward a large doorway by the officer in charge.  Trung and his cohorts were roughly taken from the back of the truck and pushed single file toward the main barracks building.

Anh was led into the basement, along a corridor and then into a dimly lit interrogation room.  Once seated the accompanying officer offered Anh a cigarette which she snatched just a little too forcefully from the outstretched pack, she smiled malevolently knowing that in just a few short minutes she would be free to go, and that this half wit would be severely punished by his commanding officer for taking in one of Hanoi's most important residents.   

The minutes ticked slowly by as Anh held her gaze at the officer, who unblinkingly returned it just as maliciously.  Eventually she could hear the sound of footsteps in the corridor, then stop before the door burst open.  General Binh stood in the doorway and surveying the scene then motioned for the officer and the guard to leave the room at once.  Once they had retreated into the corridor the General turned on Anh, and without smiling walked toward her and slapped her hard across the face.  Anh was rocked by the hard blow across her cheek and was lucky to not be knocked from her chair.  

Anh had been caught completely off guard by the turn of events, not only had she expected General Binh to apologize and release her at once, but now also that something else was afoot.  Now it was Anh's mind who was racing, normally the military kept out of her affairs as long as she continued to pay her tribute, but something was different this time...

Tôi không có thời gian cho việc này (I have no time for your games!)  Các nhà báo Úc ở đâu? (Where is the Australian Journalist?)

Rarely had Anh been intimidated, but General Binh was an imposing figure, not only tall (almost 6'2") but also powerfully built.  His most recognizable feature was the enormous scar that ran across his nose and left cheek.  Rumour had it that he'd received it when the fin of a rocket propelled grenade sliced his face during the Tet Offensive in February 1968.  

This highly decorated hero from the American war was the stuff of legends and no one messed with General Binh.  He ran the Hanoi military district with an iron fist and now a tremor of fear ran through Anh as he stood before her and slammed his fist hard on the table, the impatience visibly seething from every pore and sinew of his being.


All she could do was look into his cold eyes to know at once that this was now a life and death decision... 

Next week:  Episode 50:  Sojourn  

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's photos are all from last year's trip to Firenze, so the only way to fix my longing for Italy is to book a trip...which I did this week.  So I'll be there the first10 days of October Iand plan on spending a few days on Lake Como then down to visit my friends Arianna & Alessio in Tuscany...  Can't wait

Enjoy!

TW


 
A view from the Bell Tower in Firenze on another magical Italian morning...

Early morning shopkeepers checking out the local traffic

The crest and symbol of Firenze (Florence), and such a recognizable
and defining logo for Italians

The ubiquitous scooter - the lifeblood of Italy

Such an interesting design for a door - not your average
Italian door....lots of North African overtones to the architecture

The Duomo in Firenze - spectacular!

The adjacent Bell Tower to the Duomo - hand cut colored marble
if you please...such craftsmanship!

If you don't go early you have to deal with a 400 meter line...how many hours
do you want to stand in line.  I got there at 8:00 am to be first in line - awesome!

Only sometimes...and I like it!

Beautiful afternoon reflections in the Arno river in Firenze

No comments:

Post a Comment