Friday, August 5, 2016

Human nature

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 

Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m currently on contract with the technology group at a large retail multi-national and leading one of their programs.  I must admit its been an interesting experience and particularly more so recently now that we’ve been rolling out and deploying a new solution to the stores.

In a nutshell we’re replacing the POS (Point of Sale) coupled with new certified pin pads to enable customers to use their credit cards utilizing "chip and pin" technology. Strangely it is all transparent to the sales associate and customer, but imperative to ensure both a good customer purchasing experience as well as keeping credit card data safe.  

Leading a multifaceted program like this can be daunting proposition, but also a rush.  So where to begin...  

As I mentioned there is a enormous focus on keeping customer credit card data safe, and so the rules and regulations governing these types of transactions is incredibly stringent. In addition, layer on the encryption required by the Banks plus the businesses internal information security and network requirements then, just for fun an incredibly tight timeline and viola!. 

I must admit I love the complexity of a big program like this, especially figuring out ways with the team to overcome the next hurdle that’s placed in front of us.  Trust me there are many, and mostly on a daily basis!

The real fun and games begin when we start deploying the finished product...  Let me share with you a few things I've learned or have been reinforced over the past few weeks.

Indelible tip #1: Staying calm This never gets old especially in the heat of the moment and the pressure is on to execute and deliver. 

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m no shrinking violet but rather an incredibly “passionate” individual, who incidentally is a tad competitive.  Now, for those that don’t know me very well, this can sometimes be misconstrued as being overly aggressive, but trust me I’d rather be seen as a passionate leader vs. someone who goes through the motions and really doesn’t engage with those around them or the task at hand.   I like to think I get shit done!

I think the thing that has helped me most is what I learned as an athlete in terms of staying focused on the end game, particularly when stuff goes off the rails unexpectedly.  Stuff happens, sometimes mistakes are made, my advice is to acknowledge them and figure out what you need to do quickly fix the situation, but also what you need to differently next time.  It’s so important not to dwell on the mistakes but rather the big picture, you have to shake it off and keep moving forward. 

At moments like these my saving grace has been using what I've learned in my meditation and yoga classes to get through some particularly challenging days... If that doesn't work for you look for what centers you and settles you down when you're most vulnerable to stress, but more importantly not to let it get to you. You need to find ways to stay cool, calm and collected. :-)

Indelible Tip #2: Fact Based Not surprisingly I'm always trying to juggle ten different competing priorities all at once, all this bundled with non-stop meetings and calls...did I say how much fun I'm having?  

Let me map out a normal day for you when we deploy to stores (usually many at once - our record is 53 stores at once).  

Firstly, the team is assembled in the "war room" at the office and on a phone bridge starting at 6:00 am, which means a 4:45 am wake up call for me and into the office to open the bridge.  This is then followed by 12+ solid hours of calls from stores who have questions or who are experiencing issues or problems. High call volumes revolve around the time zones as the stores prepare to open across the successive time zones, many stores begin calling about an hour in advance (for those well prepared stores at least) and as it gets closer to store opening the call volume increases significantly, and so by the way does the level of stress as everyone is clamoring for help…often last minute.

Sometimes they’re technical issues of which there can be a wide variety of reason, so the ability to troubleshoot quickly over the phone is really a great skill to have.  First important thing to remember is to ask simple, clear and probing questions because the quicker your can diagnose the problem the faster your can triage to an expert who can help resolve it.  This can be difficult especially when you have a freaked out customer associate on the phone, who may in turn have an upset customer staring at them across the checkout counter…yeah, fun times!  I can hear all your envious giggles from here ;-)

A big part of my role is to act as traffic cop, diagnose and triage quickly.  The exciting thing (or should I say glutton for punishment!) is that for every call you’re flying blind.  Not only are you trying to keep calm but also you’re trying to keep everyone around you calm and get to the facts as quickly as possible so you can help them out.   This is a biggie!

Indelible Tip #3:  Letting go Even though companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars on training programs what I’ve found is that a vast majority of people don’t invest in the time to go through the training, nor read the training guides or manuals.  Nope, they’d rather wing it, with the the common refrain of “I’ve been doing this for year, how hard can it be I’ll learn as I go”. 

Now for some types of training this might work well, but for a new POS with a bunch of new and/or different functionality and business processes this is a recipe for disaster! Nothing says bad user experience as much as not being able to run a simple transaction for a customer...yikes!

One classic example, and seriously I’ve taken this call at least 50 – 60 times in the last couple of weeks…  ”This pin pad doesn’t work!” says a frustrated associate on the phone.  "Okay, tell me what you’re trying to do?" I ask simply.  “Well, I’m trying to sell merchandise” they retort in a irritated tone.  "Great, so let’s do a transaction together, and as you do, walk me through each step that you’re doing so we can figure out the problem" I say in a cool, calm and chipper voice…  This is often followed by an exasperated sigh, “fine, but it doesn’t work!”   At this point I say nothing…and wait for them to gather themselves.  

"Are you at the register now?" I ask.  Lets scan an item… Yes, hit total, ah-huh now bankcard…   "See it doesn’t work!", they say in an exasperated voice.  Hit enter I say…silence...”no one told me I had to hit enter!”   Now what do you see on the pin pad?  “Oh it’s working now” is the reply.  Great – do you have any other issues you’d like me to look at while I’m on the phone?   No, I’m good they often reply sheepishly, and can’t wait to get off the phone.  

My advice...read the user guide - it has pictures!  

Now this might frustrate some people and get them wound up to the point of losing it, but I just move onto the next call.  I figure it's all great fodder for my writing, what can I say except...


Deep breaths TW!  Deep breaths.  ;-)



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”  A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Come visit "Hanoi Posting" at its new home!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's photos are from my time in beautiful Scandinavia.

Enjoy!


TW

The Royal Dramatic Theatre in downtown Stockholm - so ornate!

I did say ornate didn't I?

The Ostana - parked along the waterfront 

These amazing hard carved figurines were taken from the salvaged
wreck of the Vasa in Stockholm harbour and carefully restored

Just amazing carvings...


I found decorative flourishes where ever I looked
in Stockholm - gorgeous!

Wandered along Embassy Row and took this one for Zach...


Walked right in the open gate and explored the Olympic Stadium
used for the 1912 games held in Stockholm

In fact there were athletes training during my visit - so why not?

Layers of colors and light in the main shopping
district in Stockholm
One of the highlights was visiting the Fotografiska museum

A who's who of photographers that have exhibited their
work at the museum - very cool!

A view of the harbour from the restaurant at Fotografiska

Early morning in the city - Stockholm is a beautiful city!



No comments:

Post a Comment