Saturday, May 12, 2012

Serendipitous moments


Writing for the love of the written word had taken on a new meaning for me personally since I first sat down to write about my adventure trek in Papua New Guinea last year.  Your encouragement has been amazing, hearing from many of you in comments or emails especially when I’m late in publishing my weekly blog :-) yes, I know I usually publish Friday nights!

A young TW captured waiting for a train
at Myrdal - Norway - circa 1985
So I wish I could have been a better observer earlier in my life particularly during my year backpacking around the world, but at 26 you’re hardly able to look at much past the thing that’s directly in front of you, “if I see another bloody church or museum….seriously”.  I can’t tell you how many cathedrals, churches, museums or historic sites I saw and experienced in my year away, but after a while you become numb, as they’re so overwhelming in number and similarity.  Yeah sure they are stunning but after the first twenty or so they begin to blend into the same mental image.

What I do remember clearly are the serendipitous moments over the course of that year and on one such occasion….

I was standing at a bus stop in Oslo, Norway; snow was beginning to fall and night was fast approaching with the light turning to grey (although it was only about 4:00 pm).  I was headed for a youth hostel after my train journey from Bergen in western Norway and an afternoon of touring the Edvard Munch museum.   I stood transfixed by the large, fat, wet snowflakes that were falling and beginning to accumulate on my shoulders and around my feet – this sure was different to Northern Australia! 
This was about the size of the flag I had on my backpack

In the fading light I noticed an older couple-shuffling arm in arm toward me and as they got closer they were eyeing me with some trepidation, remember I was a backpacker with a mullet so no wonder they were perhaps a little apprehensive.   On the side of my backpack I had strategically placed an Australian flag a couple of inches in size, which was a pretty normal practice and still a common practice today.   I’m not sure why they slowed down as they approach me, perhaps because it was slippery or that perhaps they didn’t feel safe and so I turned my back to them and tried to ignore them as best as possible. 

The view from the Youth Hostel overlooking
the city of Bergen, west coast of Norway... are
those snow clouds on the horizon?
As I stood there I sensed that they had stopped about six feet or so away from me and were quietly conversing in Norwegian.  Perhaps they were waiting for the bus as well.  The gentleman asked me if I was from Australia, I turned and replied that I was.  With that they came closer and explained that Gunnar’s brother had immigrated to Adelaide in 1953 and wanted to know if I knew him...   I explained that Australia was a very large country and that I wasn’t from Adelaide so unfortunately I didn’t know Hans and his family.   They smiled non-the-less and asked where I was going.  I said that I was waiting for the bus to take me to the youth hostel, at which they said that they lived close by and wanted to know if I would have dinner with them.

My initial reaction was to politely refuse, but as a person traveling alone this was clearly one of those decision points, one that you trust your gut instinct and “go with the flow” so I said “that would be wonderful – thank you”.  They each took an arm and we all shuffled along toward their warm and inviting home not too far down the street.   I’m not sure if it was it because they were lonely or wanted to learn more about Australia but Gunnar and Ingeborg were the most gracious and welcoming hosts someone could imagine having in a foreign city.  As Ingeborg fussed over the dinner preparations I sat with Gunnar at the kitchen table, as we talked they asked me questions of Australia and my family.  After a delicious home cooked meal they got out their family photo albums and they showed me snap shot after snap shot of their families over the years, some even from Hans and his smiling family in Adelaide.  

As I stood to bid them goodnight and thank them for their generosity they said that it was too late to be looking for the hostel and wanted me to stay the night in their son’s old room.  What could I say but yes…    We talked late into the night, me telling stories of Australia and my days working on a farm (yes, even some of the stories I've written about :-) and they telling stories of their children, grandchildren and their lives in Norway.   After a fitful sleep and a beautiful breakfast they bid me farewell the next morning.  It was a truly unexpected and rewarding experience, hopefully for us all.  I left with a renewed appreciation for hospitality that I had never know, ready and eager to seek what lay before me and my next adventure.  

No question that times have changed radically since the 1980’s, but is it our exposure to an ever shrinking world (thank you to the internet) or are we just more cautious and less open and generous to doing something like that today?   Would I invite someone who I didn’t know into my home like Gunnar and Ingeborg?   I would like to think so, but when I reflect on that experience and I see young backpackers at a bus stop or on the subway I ask myself if I would be that brave.



Epilogue
This week I had some feedback on my blog from last week, which made me understand the power of images and words in a way that I could never have imagined (pardon my naivety) prior to beginning this journey of discovery.   I speak of the photo of the World Trade Centers and the plane about to hit it, and although I innocently put the photo in my blog to represent the dangers of airline travel.   I now realize that this photo brought back memories of personal loss for which I have no level of understanding and comprehension; clearly I wasn’t aware that this image was so devastating to many of my readers, I have replaced the specific photo but please accept my humblest apologies….  

No comments:

Post a Comment