Friday, October 26, 2012

All the right moves...


This week I attended a beginner yoga class!    But to be completely honest I have been to a yoga class or two prior to this one.  It was early in the summer before I headed out on my adventure to Italy.   So I knew what to expect, well sort of.   When I say beginner class…OMG (what’s the level before yoga 101 again?)  Yeah that one!  That’s the one that I attended this week.

Breath lad, breath – remember it’s not competitive…perhaps that’s my problem with yoga?  

Early in the summer in my initial yoga experience the instructor was an indecipherable middle-aged Indian fellow who was a flexible as an elastic band, and with the heart and patience of a saint.  As I recall he smiled non-stop for the entire hour as he glided effortlessly around the hall talking, coaxing and encouraging all of the participants into the right postures.  I remember coming away from the class extremely relaxed and even a little buzzed.

Ashtanga Yoga poses - we did a couple
of these ones...
This week had been a little hectic and so had wanted to find a place a little closer to home, so I asked a friend about yoga classes in my neighbourhood that she could recommend.  Convenience is huge when you’ve got a lot on the go, so when I found out the studio was less than three blocks from my house – it was perfect!   As I strolled over with just minutes to spare before the class was scheduled to start I had high hopes that it was going to be as challenging and relaxing as my last yoga encounter.   “Bring it on,” I thought to myself as I climbed the stairs toward the studio reception.

All I can say was this weeks experience was vastly different…now the unexpected upside to this whole adventure was the people watching aspect – human behavior at its best.  Pure theatre! 

Let me see – where to start…

Our instructor Adam (not his real name) was an affable chap in his late 60’s, a bit of a talker, which was probably a good thing, because even though we only tried about ten moves or poses over the course of the hour he was meticulous in his demonstration and description for each move.  Describing with some detail how and where each muscle was supposed to be positioned, how you body should feel and react to every move, every little movement he charted before we began...and overall an excellent beginner instructor!

The striking thing about Adam was that he was not what I had expected my instructor to look like, especially after my last one.  In fact I’d go so far as to say he was almost the antithesis of what I had expected an instructor to look like.   I know it sounds rather judgmental and even perhaps a little mean (definitely not my intent), but rather wanted to capture the full affect from the moment I walked into the studio.

Adam’s physique was a little unorthodox for starters; my mental model wouldn’t have equated a yoga instructor with a rather large protruding potbelly but there you have it.  I caught myself staring…probably a little too long in terms of good manners.  I looked him up and down and noticed that his rather prominent stomach was attached to two very spindly legs, next a rather rakish (some less charitable might even categorize it as unkempt) and longer than fashionable grey beard.  He reminded me of a slightly underweight Santa, perhaps just a little less rotund if you know what I mean, he didn’t quite have Santa’s full figure.  That being said, he could definitely moonlight over the holiday season, no questions asked!  

My classmates were an eclectic bunch as well, an odd assortment of people, there were four women and two other men plus myself.  One of the guys complained the whole time – with “this really hurts” being his most common refrain, often loud enough to hear outside in the reception area.  I think almost every breath he took was louder than the last…yeah; he was a heavy breather as well.    

Definitely didn't try the Peacock pose!
The other guy (let’s call him Dave) was either introverted or was completely embarrassed about being in the class.   During the entire class he refused to make eye contact with anyone and so looked down at the floor the whole time, except for the odd furtive glance at Adam to see what he had to do next.  He couldn’t wait to get the hell out of there.   There were also two women in their mid to late 40’s, one by herself and the other with her niece, then an older woman perhaps closer in age to Adam. 

Now it was a little hard to tell, but I think the older woman was flirting with Adam…rather shamelessly as I recall, with a little too much giggling and nervous chatter with those around her if you know what I mean.  In fact, now that I think back he did tend to spend a lot of time “correcting her posture”.   I wonder?

Easy for me to look around and make up stories about the others in the class, another thing entirely to look at my own foibles and see what I was doing, or in some cases wasn’t doing.  During the class there were moments when I felt I wasn’t making much progress in terms of a stretch, my body just doesn’t move in those ways or so I told myself.  Fortunately for me it didn’t go into cramp or spasm during any of the poses – how embarrassing would that have been?     I guess Adam thought there were others who needed even more help than me, so spent almost zero time checking on my moves to see if they were correct.  

Am I supposed to sweat I thought to myself as I lay there in one of the painful early moves?  Perhaps you “have to work into it” the little voice in my head chided, hhhmmm…yeah, well all I know is that I waited and then waited some more as I stretched but to no avail…not so much as a hint of perspiration.   Although the little voice my head was becoming very annoying!   Enough already!

I guess I should have
studied first!
The true upside for me was how relaxed I felt by the end of the class; in fact it was almost hard for me to keep my eyes open, as I lay prostrate on the mat during my final stretch.  Clearly I had gone too far - beyond relaxed to almost a semi comatose and sleep induced state.  My eyes flicked open when I noticed Andy standing over me peering into my face…holy shit did I do something wrong I thought?   How long had he been standing there?   God, was I asleep?  Is the class still going?

He knelt down and said in a soft voice that he wanted me to come to a level one class next time rather than come back to beginner.   “You’d be wasting your time in this class, you’ve obviously played a lot of sports in your day and have excellent body awareness”, just check with the receptionist on your way out for when those classes are.    Not sure what he meant by “in your day”, and wasn’t sure if I should be happy or upset with his comment so I decided to take it as a compliment and let it go…

The other participants handled the class in varying degrees of enjoyment – Mr. “it hurts” may never attempt yoga again, as he struggled to his knees and then eventually his feet before staggering unsteadily out of the studio.  Ms. Flirty was chatting to Adam as I left the room and the other guy had gone before I had even rolled my mat – yeah, he’s not coming back.   The high school student seemed like she was having fun with her aunty who also struggled with many of the exercises.   

My big lesson from this weeks class is that it takes courage to try something new like this no matter what age, size or shape you’re in especially if you have to try in front of others – so I take my hat off to all of my fellow participants for getting outside their comfort zone and trying something new.   Well done!

Level one here I come…  J




No comments:

Post a Comment