Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Big News

Who would have guessed that when I first penned my first blog some 20 months ago that I’d be able to tell you that earlier this week I signed an agreement to publish my first book!

I’ve been constantly encouraged by the support for my weekly blog and to be honest blown away by the numbers of people who’ve read it and commented on it from the four corners of the globe (47 countries and counting).  Just over a generation ago the thought of reading an electronic story written by someone on the other side of the world was a complete fantasy.   Now not so much - thank you!

Late last summer I boldly stated that my objective was to publish a book within a year, I felt as though I had to say it out loud otherwise it wasn’t real or perhaps less likely of me following through – I guess by putting myself “on the hook” so to speak, I had to make it happen or face the personal embarrassment of not living up to my promise.

So earlier this year when I started looking for a publisher that would be willing to accept a manuscript from a completely unknown writer (irrespective of my blog), I quickly found out that I was dreaming...   That's no longer the way of the world!

To the outside world you might think that it would be a slam-dunk given that my blog has attracted almost 25,000 readers (are you for real?). 

What I found out is that for the vast majority of first time authors you need a literary agent to act on your behalf, who would then seek out a publisher for you.  It seems as though there are no direct channels for writers to find a publisher and have any hope of getting either a response or impossibly one to agree to take your manuscript to review with no promise of anything else other than perhaps reading it.  

Don’t get me wrong I’m not criticizing the industry especially given the explosion in the number of would-be writers and avenues to publish.   To be fair the traditional publishers have been under siege from online publishers and self-publishing for a while now and with shrinking ranks makes it a tough place to be so I get it.

Once I understood the landscape I could do one of two things – I could make excuses and choose not publish or I could take matters into my own hands and like the vast majority of new writers self publish.   

Before moving forward I had to take a long look in the mirror and ask myself why this was so important to me?  I guess I kept coming back to me feeling like I had stories that were itching to be told…  Now some of you might think my endeavour a little narcissistic but there are times when you have to suspend all thoughts of what others think of you and your motives and press on, and clearly this was one of those times ☺

The big question for me is “what does success look like?”   Well, given my life so far the concept of even publishing a book would be monumentally sufficient, and certainly enough to “tick the box”.   That being said, the most likely scenario would be for me to get busy and want to publish again...   Did you say “insatiable drive” or was that my outside voice again???

During my research I uncovered a number of self-publishing options and companies, finally settling on FriesenPress.  

My master plan is to have my book published and available electronically via a host of online channels in eBook format (Barnes & Noble, Indigo, Kobo, Kindle, also in the Apple and Android stores).  As well, to make it available via “print-on-demand” via the web if someone wanted a physical copy, then depending on how successful book sales are I would then contemplate working directly with a bookstore chain to add my book to their in-store inventory.   Maybe by then I’ll have another book ready to go.

Clearly there is a lot to do to make this happen, especially with my “a-type” personality…yes, I wanted it done yesterday.   So they’re a few important next steps, which are looming that need my immediate attention.

Firstly, I have to take time off work (my real job) so I can concentrate and get the manuscript to a point that I can submit to my copyeditor for review.  The timeline is tight, in order to make the Christmas season I have to get my manuscript to them by the end of July – mid August at the latest …pretty ambitious, even by my standards?   

This task will be the biggest hurdle to overcome if I’m serious about getting it out the door this year, and to be honest feeling a little nervous about the mountain of writing and re-writing ahead.  I know what I’m doing this weekend and for the next few months of spare time...a true labour of love.   

At the same time I’ll also be working with an art director and his design team in parallel to get the cover and book layout ready to go – all very exciting stuff. ☺

Surprisingly, I find my writing both soothing and a complete escape from the day-to-day (no not delusional…be nice), interestingly when I haven’t written for a day or two I can’t wait to get in front of my computer and write a story.   The vast majority of these short stories aren’t published; in fact few of them I share with anyone but me.   I think its the act of writing that I find the greatest pleasure in.

I know many of you are wondering what I’m going to publish?   In fact I have three books that are in various states of completeness, so still up in the air to be honest about which one will be finalized.   

We’ll have to wait and see…yep, that includes me ☺ 

Wish me luck and stay tuned, btw – thanks for being the best readers ever and continually encouraging me, I really appreciate it!





12 comments:

  1. This is absolutely fantastic news. Congratulations & I hope you meet your ambitious timeline!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Terence. Will live vicariously through you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Terence. Hope your dream comes true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you've been writing your blog but didn't know you're also writing book(s)! I'd be really interested in the process of self publishing as hubby is also a writer and has plans to publish a book someday. He's a fellow Aussie too. :) Would love to pick your brain one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peggy - thanks! I appreciate your note and will let you know how it goes :-)
      Terence

      Delete
  5. Good Luck Mr. Wallis :) very excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to reading more.
    Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, Terence! Just one big push and you're there. Pulling for you, and wishing you all the best :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. After looking over a number of the blog posts on your blog, I
    honestly appreciate your technique of writing a blog. I bookmarked it to my
    bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future.

    Please visit my website as well and tell me your opinion.

    Feel free to visit my website - Jeffry Keeley

    ReplyDelete