Friday, February 13, 2015

Touchstones...

Come check out the Indelible Adventures website - lots of new photos to browse under the "See" section 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never do well with the wintertime this is especially true in the city; I'm much better being situated on a mountain skiing or snowboarding than being stuck here with the constant snowfall, impossible commutes and seemingly never ending shoveling of snow.  So now more than ever I try to seek the touchstones in my life, firstly to keep my sanity but also to be thankful for all the positive and important things I have in my life.

So as you can imagine it was a very proud moment for me this past week when Zach received his mid year marks.   He ended the half year with a 94% average mark and was in turn ranked 11th overall in the school, which is incredible for someone who changed schools six weeks into the year, caught up with his peer group and now clearly out performed the majority of them…yes, this is the part where I'm the proud papa!  In the note I wrote to him after receiving his report card and overall scores I told him how proud I was of him, but that he must also be proud of his personal accomplishments especially given his start to the year.  

For those that know me realize that my academic career was not in his league, not even close; I was more of a 50% sort of student who scraped through by sheer focus and bloody mindedness rather than being strong academically.  But to be fair, I also didn't have the encouragement and support from those around me to be successful like he does today. 

From an early age I was streamed into the bottom of most classes because my perceived aptitude for learning was graded low.  This educational streaming continued into Technical College (secondary school) and found myself having fallen between the academic cracks so to speak when I found myself in a year 9 class in the lowest of the low classes with many of my peers with extreme learning or behavioral difficulties.  This was a place where you were put when they didn't know what to do with you...yep, that was me and my lot to deal with.

It was at this time that I found myself spending more time outside the principal’s office than actually in class.  I wasn't disruptive per see, but I've always had a low tolerance for crap and often as we lined up to go into class I’d be separated out of the line and told to go to the principal’s office…hadn't even made it into the classroom yet!   Eventually it got to the point of not even bothering to take a pen or book to class as there was little need for either of them.  Now couple that with a family environment that wasn't supportive of me staying at school, the way they saw it, and which was often reinforced with me was that I was just “wasting my time” going to school.  

I was at rock bottom!

Things started to change with the new English teacher who took over the class mid way through the year.  After observing me for a class or two he asked me to stay after class and made me a proposition.  He said he'd pass me if I completed one essay for him…  Having not a great trust of teachers or authority figures I was a little skeptical and lets say apprehensive to say the least, but after I had thought about it went along with the proposal for a couple of reasons.  I figured that if I was going to stay at school and use this as a way out of my environment then I needed to pass English, as this was a mandatory course to move to Form 4 (year 10).  Perhaps I caught a glimmer of hope…was this serendipity playing a part, or was it fate? 

After completing the essay and handing it in I assumed I was done.  Next class he gave it back to me but so marked up in red that at first I didn't recognize it as my essay.  Hhhmm, we had a deal I argued, he agreed but because I hadn't technically “finished” the essay yet it wasn't done.  This process went on for a number of iterations until he was satisfied with the final result, and true to his word as the year wound down he passed me as per our agreement.  Perhaps he saw something in me that I didn't even see at the time, in that I was the sort of kid that just needed a little encouragement and then things would sort themselves out in the long run.  I guess I was a "diamond in the rough".  

I have never forgotten his kindness nor his helping hand on my journey to what and where I am today.  

Fortunately both Zach and Sami are always at the top of their respective grades academically, and with the support and encouragement that my ex and I provide them have every confidence that they'll be great at whatever they decide to do with their lives no matter what.

In fact Zach mentioned that he needed to begin studying for his SAT’s and ACT’s as he'll have to sit them next year in preparation for University entrance.  We discussed what he’s leaning toward taking over coffee last weekend, so far he's leaning toward a double major in History and Business for his undergraduate degree before moving onto a law degree.  Ultimately he wants to study Maritime law after some great coaching from his grandfather (my ex’s dad) who was a lawyer before becoming CEO of a large commercial real estate company here in Canada.  

In fact he’s had a huge influence on both kids as Sami also has her sights set on studying law, although before she does that she’s more interested in getting a sports scholarship to a US university for soccer.  She definitely has the right mental approach to making this happen, both on an academic and sports front she works extremely hard and, like me dreams BIG!

I can only stand in awe of the achievements of my two so far – so incredibly proud!  Can you tell?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks photos are from the all too recent and continuous snowfall we've been experiencing here in Toronto this past month.  I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I didn't taking them  

Dusk after the first snowfall for a while


Now that's a snow drift!


Love the patterns in the snow formed by the wind

Even my BBQ has a snow cap on top


The back deck after the storm - not sure where the steps are


Its been almost a week and this car that's parked outside my place
hasn't been able to dig out of the ever increasing ice wall that now
surrounds the car...I figures he's going to leave it until the Spring

The Algonquin chairs on my front porch have a fluffy snow pillow

Everyone digging out



What was my front footpath to the house and front steps
I now have moguls on my front lawn...

Even my little shrubs are almost completely covered


My electrical outlet on the back deck even has a snow hat!


Awesome little snow sculptures on my deck railings



What I was initially faced with...

I swear I shovelled just an hour ago...oi vay!



Yes a few were required to help get cars out of their snow caves

What a gorgeous moon and sunset


Amazing sunset - and I just noticed the big wasp nest in the tree over
the street out front...wow!



2 comments:

  1. Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using?
    I'm planning to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a tough time choosing between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different
    then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
    P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!


    Feel free to visit my blog blown head gasket repair cost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I've always used Blogger and love the ease and flexibility of it. I designed my own blog and very straight forward. Good luck!
      TW

      Delete