Friday, May 6, 2016

Inspiration?

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 
Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where do you draw your inspiration?  

I guess over the years my personal inspiration has had many different channels, as you know five years ago when I started my weekly blog (yes, its that long ago...) I found my inspiration in my dad and the stories that were left untold when he died.  At that time I wanted to write the stories of my life so that Zach and Sami would get to know all about me, perhaps not now so much but when they get older and appreciated me as an adult. Then they could look back on my book and stories and share them with their families, maybe even reminiscing about a great childhood.  So my legacy to them if you will...

I know it sounds a wee bit sappy and all, but I realized too late that I didn't really get to know my parents and that instead I would be documenting while I had all my faculties (be nice...yes, that's your outside voice btw!!!), and to be honest while we were still having adventures (sometimes together) thus creating shared memories from which they could relate directly.

In my mind, this was the genesis of my writing and surprisingly not only did I evolve into a reasonable writer (bowing now) but my life is completely different to what it was just five short years ago.

As with most things in life we draw our strength and inspiration from many places, and so I wanted to share with you a few of my inspirational touchstones.  Clearly in no particular order, but each contributes immeasurably to the shape and context of my life as it is today.

Indelible Tip #1:  Special people  At times when I reflect on my life I'm always struck by the diversity and uniqueness of those special people that I have in my life and that truly inspire me.  Just take a moment to reflect on those people in your life that touch you in a way that moves you. There are a handful of people who I both admire, but also take great inspiration from.  

I think the first person on my list is my best friend Craig. He has loads of what you'd call charisma, but not in a showy or outward way.  No, for Craig he has this way about him that puts people at ease from the very first, this gift is then coupled with a marvelous sense of humour, a healthy dose of self confidence and most of all a giving and kind nature.  He's truly an inspiration, not only for me but for all that meet him.  He's a one of a kind!  And as they'd say in Australia "a bloke you'd like to have next to you if the shit hit the fan".

I'm fortunate to have met an inspirational couple when I was in Italy last year. Often when traveling you meet people and connect, mostly for just a short time, but there was something about Arianna and Alessio from the very beginning that was different.  They live in their beautiful home of Montrogoli just outside San Casciano Val Di Pesa (which I would highly recommend visiting and staying if you have even the smallest opportunity) which is surrounded by the natural beauty of Tuscany - seriously, could you ask for a more beautiful part of the world?  

I could tell by the sense of pride and passion when they spoke about their venture that they had found their calling in life and that I, (so fortunate) had found kindred spirits.  They live the concept of slow living Italian style to the fullest, thus introducing you to a new way of looking and connecting with the world around you. We keep in contact regularly, but they inspire me to continue on my journey of self discovery and slowing down unabated!

Indelible Tip #2:  Special Places  If you've read my blogs you know that my heart belongs to Italy, no if's and's or but's I'm afraid.  In fact Sami often asks me when I'm moving to Italy...cheeky girl!  Other than Australia and Canada, I've spent more time in Italy than any other country on the planet, and even before I had the wonderful fortune of meeting Arianna and Alessio it was firmly fixed in my heart.  It's sort of hard to describe, but when I'm there I feel at peace... There's no other way to describe it.  From the moment I land and take my first breath of that aromatic Italian air its as if I belong there.  Perhaps in a former life, who knows, but clearly my affinity runs true and deep with Italy often on my mind.  A few times today even, thinking that I should sojourn in Italy on my way back from the writers conference in Stockholm this July...    Hhhmmm, not totally off the table yet - just sayin!   :-)

What most inspires me about Italy, although difficult to choose just a couple of things I would have to say its natural beauty, the warmth and generosity of the people who I've met and the way that Italians embrace life.  They truly live "la dolce vita" (the sweet life) and they're only too happy to share this approach to living, which I've come to appreciate more and more over the years.  It's all about slowing down and enjoying every facet of life...

One bit of advice I'd give to those of you interested in experiencing the real Italy is to get local. I personally like renting an apartment in a small village for a couple of weeks and immersing myself.  You get to practice your Italian (in my case rather rudimentary) while they get to know you and practice their english, although for the most part you'll soon realize that many have amazing linguistic skills and will frequently switch between the two or three languages at any given time to help you out. It's a combination of the slow life, surrounded by innate beauty coupled with the warmest people on earth.  Yep, inspirational alright!

Indelible Tip #3: Special Gifts  I'm a big believer in giving myself presents, and one of my favourite gifts that I give to myself (other than freshly cut flowers each week) as often as I can is the dawn light over a beach somewhere.  I love the way the light plays on the waves as they crash ashore in the first rays of the day. Breathtaking is the only word I can use to describe it!  And it definitely inspires me to capture it through the lens of my camera and share it with others so that they can feel the experience as well. 

Fortunately I've always been a morning person, so not too difficult to get up early and head to the ocean for the dawn light, especially when I'm within such easy reach. Most recently California has been my go-to spot to spoil myself when I need a dose of sunrise and oceanscapes, but equally comfortable with any place that has an ocean beach.  Such an amazing way to start the day!

One thing I realized over the past couple of years is that the more I slow down and breathe and take in all the things around me the more I appreciate my life and the things that are important to me.  This inspires me to share my story and help others who are going through a similar journey.  Maybe its karma, but the more I share the more I get back from the people that I interact with - definitely a two way street where I'm unsure who is inspiring whom in the equation, except that I'm often blown away by the courage, determination and passion that I see in the people I meet.  Yes, you know who you are!  :-)

If this is a new concept, perhaps take a moment to reflect on what inspires you?  To be clear there are no right or wrong answers here, nor is it anything but a completely personal choice.  

Enjoy the reflection time!


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”

A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Episode 43: Bargaining chip

Within hours Phuong had confirmation through his intricate network that Trung and his thugs had indeed kidnapped Bill, and that he was being held in a house just outside the old quarter.  With this confirmation he realized that he had to take immediate action to save Bill's life, generally in situations like this the victim would already be dead and so he wondered why Anh had not given Trung permission to end his life immediately.   

It was clear that Phuong's course of action was to treat fire with fire, calling together his closest confidants he briefed them, much as he had all those years before.  Strangely it felt like old times, with the adrenaline rush of going into action coursing through his body.   He hadn't felt this alive in years...

Nhu Ha squatted by the brazier next to her stall at the Chợ Đồng Xuân in the early morning light, few others were around at this time of day but Anh's mother had always risen at 4:30 am to begin her day while her husband Quang walked to the nearby square to begin bargaining with the farmers that had brought their produce for the days market.  

She hadn't noticed the darkly clad figure stealthily observing her from a nearby stall, but looked up to see the headlight of a scooter slowing moving toward her down the darkened lane.  She turned back to her food preparation as the scooters motor drowned out the peace and quiet of the early morning.  It stopped close by, and before she make a sound an arm enveloped her small frame and while another covered her mouth before being bear hugged onto the back of the waiting scooter, thus now trapped between the two figures as the scooter accelerated down the narrow laneway.

Quang returned with his cart full of produce for the first of many trips and was surprised that Nhu Ha wasn't ready with her morning bowl of piping hot Pho.  He called her name softly but with no response, and with only the slightest wisp of smoke still raising from the brazier she had simply vanished...


Next week:  Episode 44:  Rage

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's photos are still more from my recent New York weekend. Hopefully, you're not bored with the things I discovered while exploring this awesome city.


Enjoy!  

TW


Empire State building in monochrome

After walking the Highline I strolled across 14th street to
Union Square

Speeding traffic at 8th & 14th

From my walk along the Highline...say no more!


One of my timeless favorites...

Crisp signage!

NYC is so easy to get around, with lots of helpful maps right on
the street - this one on 5th Avenue

Loved the lines of the lawn and gardens at the NYC
Library

Depending on who you ask - the stone lions are named Lady Astor and Lord Lennox (yes, even though they'reboth male).  In the 1930's, the then mayor Fiorello LaGuardia named them Patience and Fortitude.

Surprisingly not Italy, but part of the NYC Public Library - very cool!

The Chrysler Building on 42nd Street

Time Square on Sunday morning - definitely the best time to go!

"Exhausted"...

Pedicabs on 5th Avenue - beware of exorbitant rates!

Rockefeller Plaza with a giant pool sculpture and
the iconic yellow taxis











No comments:

Post a Comment