Friday, July 8, 2016

The Novice

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 

Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This weekend I’m heading to Scandinavia, ultimately to attend the TBEX conference in Stockholm. TBEX is the largest networking event for travel bloggers, online travel journalists, new media content creators, travel brands and industry professionals.  It started in 2009 and since then has blossomed into the world’s largest travel community, with conferences held yearly in Asia, Europe and North America.  Not surprisingly each conference draws between 600 and 1000 participants and clearly a big deal in the travel industry, especially in Europe for this conference.

So what’s my objective for going to this, my first conference?  I guess I have a couple of objectives…  

My first objective, and it’s even before I get to Stockholm for TBEX is to visit Copenhagen. Back in 1985 when I was backpacking around the world I made Copenhagen my home base as I toured Norway, Sweden and Finland for a couple of months, and loved it.  So fast forward 31 years and I thought that if I was going to be in the neighborhood anyway, then I may as well spend a little more time re-exploring and getting myself reacquainted with this gorgeous part of the world.  

I’m flying Friday night and plan to spend the weekend in Copenhagen before taking the train and ferry up to Gothenburg on Sweden’s west coast before traversing the country, again by train (something I just love about a train trip!) and the TBEX festivities in Stockholm.

Initially I thought that I may be able to swing a week in Italy as well, but decided to save that adventure for a separate occasion.  Right now I have Italy penciled in for the first couple of weeks in October.  :-)

Indelible Tip #1: Going for what you want I’m a big believer in asking the universe for what you want and then doing everything in your power to enable your dreams.  If you want to be a writer, then you've got to write, you have to publish, you have to research, you have to edit…basically “putting in the hard yards” as they’d say in Australia.  It’s the same with any dream that you have, it’s not going to be handed to you on a platter so what are you going to do to make it a reality?   You knuckle down and work hard...

When I first started my journey as a writer I didn’t expect to write a weekly blog and still be publishing it five years on, nor did I expect that anyone outside my kids would be interested in reading my book.  And more recently having companies ask me to write and publish articles for them.  I feel the momentum building, and so I see my time at TBEX as an opportunity to take it to the next level and get my name out there more broadly, especially in Europe where I want to spend more time doing all the things I love.

Indelible Tip #2: Taking risks Clearly there are risks... and then there are risks, but inherently taking risks is a part of achieving your dreams.  Surprisingly when I first started my company and explained my business plan, I had an inordinate number of people tell me that it would never work, and that I couldn’t do all these things and still be “successful” - you can only be one thing was the standard line…  

I guess it depends on your definition of success, yet not one person asked me what I wanted to achieve, the majority of them tried their hardest to make me see the light and dissuade me from being so naïve - in their minds it could only be one thing anything more I was effectively wasting my time.    

Now I’m sure they had my best interests at heart, but arguably I’m living exactly the type of life I’ve always wanted as I balance my writing, photography, speaking, consulting and traveling.  So if I heeded their advice where would I be today?  More than likely I’d be feeling unfulfilled and trapped – I know I’m a creature that thrives on variety and so, going with my gut and taking this risk played a big part in my thinking when I originally mapped out my plan.

I took a calculated risk, I fully believe in my abilities to figure things out and find ways to be successful and just knew that I could create my own reality. My foundation to success is that “I believe” in myself – no if’s and’s or but’s.  

Indelible Tip #3: Creating your own luck I also have a lot of people say to me that I’m lucky because of the life I have…  Again, I’m a firm believer in that you create your own luck by having a dream, working hard everyday and being prepared to be innovative, passionate and tough minded.  You have to be prepared to knock down the barriers, or figure out a way around them and be willing to do whatever it takes day in and day out, its a long term thing so you have to get used to the idea that overnight success is a myth. 

Invariably we all face challenges but its how we handle them that makes the difference.  For me it’s all about focus, perseverance and self belief.

Now I know for some of you heading off to an industry event in Europe with little more than a dream, a new media kit and a positive approach may be daunting, but isn’t that what life is all about?

I like to frame it this way “what’s the worst thing that could happen?” Oh, I didn’t get any new writing gigs…  Well, how about I have 10 new contacts I get in the travel industry?  They may not have anything that fits my profile today, but what about the future or the possible referral to someone else who does have the need for the skills of an incredibly talented photo journalist whose fabulous in front of a large audience.   

See it’s all about perspective…just sayin!

Wish me luck with my first TBEX adventure, I’ll be your correspondent on the ground next week from Stockholm.

Ciao!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”

A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Episode 52: Seduction 

Alessio had talked non stop during the 25 minute commute from Malpensa airport, and Lea felt at ease and more drawn to him the longer they conversed.  His cousin was waiting for them when they pulled to the curb in front of the hotel and warmly embraced each of them in succession as they stepped from the car, kissing each cheek in typical european style.

Lea was starting to feel the exhaustion overcome her as Alessio's cousin Guido chatted to them in the lobby.  Sensing Lea's tiredness Alessio explained that they had an early morning flight the next day and that unfortunately couldn't have drinks in the lobby bar.  Guido smiled ruefully as he wished them a good night before walking them to the elevator.

Lea stepped from the elevator directly into a grand suite, Alessio explained that this was Guido's private quarters and that because the hotel was already fully booked he had provided his personal suite for them.  He then directed her to a bedroom before saying that his room was adjacent and bid her goodnight. 

Although Lea was tired, she had a feeling of excitement deep in the pit of her stomach and so was physically tired but restless...  She tossed and turned and eventually got up to go and get a cold drink from the kitchen, as she walked past Alessio's room she noticed the door ajar with just enough light emanating from the room to see Alessio's form on the bed.  She paused and noticed that he was naked and lying on his back with his eyes closed.  A deep feeling of excitement washed over her as she continued to be mesmerized by this shapely form.  Her hands imperceptibly slipped inside her dressing gown and was now softy caressing her hardening nipples, the feeling of longing was unmistakable as she continued to peer inside.

Without thinking she softly stepped into the room and walked toward the bed slowly untying the dressing gown before letting it slip from her shoulders.  

She softly knelt on the floor beside the bed and with the tips of her fingers caressed Alessio's strong chest and arms, his eyes fluttered open to her light touch, he smiled as his strong arms reached for her naked form... 



Next week:  Episode 53:  Recovery and reunification    

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's photos are from last weekends jaunt to the Brickworks farmers market and the Distillery district.

Enjoy!

TW


Sort of fitting that I came upon this sign...


It certainly is welcoming and a definite "must see" in your
Toronto visit


Such an awesome summers day for a stroll...

Such a cool set of names...that's Mr Worts to you!!

Beautifully restored

Still has an industrial feel to the district - no question!

Such a lovely contrast in colors and shapes

The photographers reflection

Interesting sculpture made out of steel and odds and ends

The Distillery District is full of boutiques, galleries and cool stores


Empty cups in the sun...


The local neighborhood basketball court adjacent to the Distillery and with the
city skyline in the background

The Goodeham Building - yes, the same one who owned the Distillery,
Toronto's Flatiron building in downtown
Street lamp and sunshine

To celebrate Canada Day of course!








No comments:

Post a Comment