Friday, October 7, 2016

Emerald Isle!

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 

Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m sitting in the Air Canada lounge at Toronto’s Pearson International airport awaiting my overnight flight to Dublin with Zach.  This weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving and so he and I are on a boy’s weekend and heading for adventure in the “emerald isle”.  The three of us (Sami included) went to Ireland for March break (school holidays) two years ago and drove the southern route for 8 days including the beautiful Ring of Kerry.

With Sami already safely ensconced in Vienna on a girl’s weekend with my ex, her mum, sister and aunt this weekend it was a simple decision to head out with Zach. 

Where to go???   Such a first world problem I know…

I left the choice to Zach after my ideas fell on deaf ears “how about Tokyo…well, what about Hong Kong…okay, perhaps California?” all to no avail.   Too far, way too far and been there too many times, how about Europe he said breezily.

“Sure, where did you have in mind?”  I’m thinking Iceland or Ireland…  Once we had decided, it was sort of easy as Iceland was booked solid this coming weekend – go figure?  It was interesting, that we both loved Ireland on our last visit, but were both keen on seeing a different part of Ireland so Zach helped me piece together a nice little itinerary that has us staying in an Inn tomorrow night in the pretty and picturesque village of Portrush on then Northern Ireland coast in County Antrim.

This idyllic village is close to three world class sights – first the Giant’sCauseway, which is arguably one of the natural wonders of the modern world.  This World Heritage site serves as a natural barrier to the whims of the Atlantic and the constant stream of storms that lash its rugged shores.  It’s one of those places that captured my imagination as a boy, and so far from the hot and dusty rural community I grew up in Australia and so excited to be actually visiting it and spending time exploring.

The next must see during a visit to County Antrim is Dunluce Castle.  This well preserved and now ruined medieval castle is perched high on a basalt cliff overlooking the sea, having served as the home to many an Antrim local chieftain’s over the centuries.  However, it was during the 18th century that a good portion of the castles outer walls collapsed into the ocean and has thus been uninhabited ever since.  I’m looking forward to scouring the ruins with my camera in search of the unique and often overlooked. J

The third, and possibly depending on who you ask, most important site to see in this part of Northern Ireland is Bushmills.  This sleepy little town (pop 1391) is home to one of the best known Irish distilleries – Bushmills.  Although Irish single malt whisky doesn’t share the same legendary status nor popularity as scotch whiskey it’s still a popular drink with the locals as well as those in the know and is exported to all corners of the earth for your sipping pleasure.  Last year alone they produced 98 million bottles.   Don’t worry, I’ll be visiting the distillery to check it all out…purely as research of course!

Interestingly, now that I’ve outlined my list, I’ve seemingly missed the Royal Portrush golf course which is stone’s throw from where we’re staying.  This highly rated golf course is one of the best kept secrets in the British Isles, and considered a pure gem in golfing circles.  I wish I had an extra day or so, but alas not to be on this visit.

One of the other things we’ve both agreed upon visiting during our visit to Northern Ireland is the Titanic museum which is situated in the heart of the Belfast docks.  The mystery and mystique surrounding the Titanic continues to capture the imagination of history lovers everywhere, which is precisely why Zach and I will be checking it out on Saturday as we make our way back toward Dublin.

We’re slated to spend the night at country Inn overlooking the Irish Sea about an hour north of Dublin on Saturday night.  Mixing it up with the locals and trying to soak up as much of the Irish culture as we can during our visit, I’m just hoping we get to experience some local music over a pint. 

It was at Zach’s insistence that when we were searching for accommodation we look to small, local places to stay – pubs, B+B’s and the like.  It certainly paid off on our last visit to Ireland with both Zach and Sami rating our road trip around the Ring of Kerry as one of our best trips yet. 

Dateline:  Friday October 7th - Portrush, County Antrim, Northern Ireland  
Since writing the first portion of my blog last night as we crossed the wild Atlantic on our overnight flight touching down a little after 7:30 am GMT this morning I wanted to update you on our day so far.  Btw I know I shouldn’t be, but I’m always astounded by how green the countryside is, especially bright when you’re coming into land.  It’s simply stunning!

Day one has been a roaring success.  After picking up our car rental we jumped on the M2 freeway and headed north toward Belfast and then onto all points aforementioned.  Admittedly Zach was a little nervous about the drive, because like in Australia, the Irish drive on the left side of the road, and indeed have the cars controls on the left as well which freaks him out.  Although after a stop for breakfast he fell asleep for the remainder of the journey so no more jittery co-pilot. :-)

In addition, we took the Bushmills Distillery tour early this afternoon and would highly recommend it.  At the end of the tour you get to choose what variety of whisky you’d like to taste, so of course I chose the 12-year-old.  Vastly different from the scotch whisky I usually enjoy, and so they may have a convert on their hands.  A smooth, less peaty aperitif with no lingering after taste…just my cup of tea if you get my drift.

I'm definitely having an early night tonight as I’m starting to feel the effects of a week of ultra-early mornings (yes, 4:30 am) and then to top it off last night on the plane I only got two hours of sleep and so I’m feeling about done in.

And as they say in Gaelic - Taitneamh a bhaint as!  (Enjoy!)




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hanoi Posting”  A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Come visit "Hanoi Posting" at its new home!   New episodes added

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week I'm adding a few from our adventures today in Portrush, Bushmills and Dunluce Castle. 

Enjoy!


TW
Every village still has a red telephone box - so quaint!

There is an Irish pub at the center of everything - adjacent to the Giant's Causeway

The Giant's Causeway is a protected UNESCO World Heritage site 

Lava bubbles finally making their way to the surface as rocks

Zach at the Giant's Causeway - yep, it was chilly!

The stunning bay with the rock formations in full view - marvelous!

The coastal headland with the path marked


The towering columns of basalt rise out of the ground and up the
steep cliff face

Ruins of Dunluce Castle in County Antrim, Northern Island

A castle outer wall collapse put an end to its use as a family home - you can
see why...


No comments:

Post a Comment