Friday, May 3, 2013

Desire or raw talent?


This week I had the opportunity to go watch Zach play rugby for his school, and let me tell you what a treat it was!   When he came to me this time last year and said he was trying out for the school rugby team I was happy that he wanted to try out and although I had played in Darwin, Australia I was adamant that I wasn’t going to push him into playing or make him feel like he had to just because I had.   No siree!

So when I went to watch him play in a school tournament I was astounded at his natural ability and his innate feel for the game.  He was a try-scoring machine racking up four tries for his team in a losing effort against the best team for his age group in the city.   


Zach at the opening kick-off
against St Andrews College
So this year when he said that he really wanted to play club rugby as well as for school I encouraged him, but also tried to temper his enthusiasm….it’s one thing to play at school but a completely different thing to play for a club in a weekly competition against other U14’s from all over the city – these kids are really big for their age and not like school.   

He’s an average sized kid, who through his own admission has been working out trying to build up his physique in readiness for the rugby season.  Since last December when he made up his mind to really “go for it” and play at the club level I’ve seen a real commitment from him to get in shape and be selective in his diet especially around nutrition.   Most days since then he’s been racking up in excess of 100 push-ups and sit-ups, which has translated into a noticeably more athletic build than before.

When he first got his school rugby schedule about a month ago he enthusiastically emailed me the list of games & times in the hope that I could come watch him play.   For the past two weeks whenever we've discussed rugby the first thing out of his mouth is to ask if I would be able to come watch him play.  Intensely keen if you know what I mean! ☺

Last Wednesday was his first game of the school schedule (such a beautiful spring day  - finally!), he was playing St Andrews College in Aurora (and fortunately for me only about 20 minutes from the office), you see I’d also been preparing by going in early all week so that I could slip out just after lunch and go watch him play - not sure who was more excited about the start of his games...him or me?!


Zach directing traffic early
in the first half
When I arrived the team was warming up, he noticed as soon as I arrived and came over to see if I would help him with his stretches.   Fortunately I’d met his coaches and another couple of parents last year, and they were comfortable with me being on the sidelines and helping out where I could.

As I stretched I asked him how he was feeling – “nervous” he said tentatively.  Its strange I wasn’t sure if I was nervous for him or for me, but I also felt a little like I used to on game days.   That familiar jittery feeling deep in the pit of your stomach, excited and edgy all at the same time.    

St Andrews won the toss and so elected to receive the ball, Zach was selected to play  fullback and so stood at the center of the field ready to kick off.  However, prior to the kick off the referee and the opposing coach strode up to him and asked him about his glasses.   We had gotten him high impact sports glasses and although he had played in them before, each referee can decide to let him wear them or not..the other coaches and I held our collective breath.

After a short discussion they agreed that it would be fine, but during the discussion Zach’s coach turned to me on the sideline and asked how his eyesight was if he couldn’t wear his glasses.   My response is that he likely couldn’t play fullback because of the depth perception and distance issues he has without his glasses.   I could see they were contemplating a last minute move if he was unable to wear them.

The opposing team appeared significantly bigger and stronger than Royal St Georges College team, but fortunately for Zach and his cohorts they were clearly more talented and skilled with the use of the ball.  Fortunately for Zach and his team one of the other dads from RSGC had played rugby in England at a fairly high level and had been coaching the boys in game strategy and tactics in the preceding weeks – such a huge advantage when it came to game day.


Going for the extra point...
It took only a couple of minutes for this advantage to pay off, with the ball being moved back and forth across the field beautifully and finally into the hands of the fleet footed winger (Jesse) who easily outran the opposing team to score under the posts.  

As fullback Zach now had to kick for the extra points…  Unfortunately he and I had not practiced kicking for goal; in fact he was now operating purely on his instincts having never taken a place kick before this moment.   He made a valiant effort, but to no avail with the ball falling well short.   I took photos as he was kicking so I could show him the biomechanics of his kicking, which we reviewed and discussed at half time!

Shortly after the kick off Zach fielded the ball inside his 22 metre zone, thinking quickly he sent a huge kick down field, and sprinted after it to get his team onside and in the process making a crunching tackle on the unfortunate opposing full-back who had retrieved his kick.  Once again RSGC took the advantage and within seconds had the ball out wide for Jesse to score yet again under the posts.  Zach’s quick thinking had given them great field position and ultimately enabled them to score.

The St Andrews boys were completely demoralized at this point, a mere minutes into the game and already down 10-0.  You could tell by the way they walked - heads bowed and shoulders slumped - a sure sign they had been completely beaten.  At that point the game was effectively over, but not before Zach took an inside pass and sprinted the length of the field through the opposing line a good 80 meters to score an excellent try into corner.  
Zach's lucky 13 jumper!


At half time he and I talked about some things that I had noticed during the first half, but I was floored at both his insights and his ability to read the game – clearly he had a better grasp of what had transpired on the field in the first half and what the team needed to do in the second to keep their advantage.

What really got me excited was how intently his teammates listened to his coaching and point of view as he spoke to them during the break.  They too could feel his command of the game and took on board his advice and guidance, which is quite unique for a group of teenage boys.

The second half was an even more one sided affair with RSGC scoring twice more, and Zach breaking their line seemingly at will setting up the two other tries and almost scoring twice more himself.

I know most parents are proud of their kids and their sporting prowess, but I was completely in awe of Zach’s abilities, skill, maturity and complete domination of the game.  He was truly a tour de force on the field!   The final score line 20 – 0, but should have likely been closer to 40 – 0 truth be told.

This week he begins training with his new club (Balmy Beach U14’s), I’m sure he’ll be learning a lot in the coming weeks which he can take back to his school team.   Heaven help the opposing teams is all I can say!


No comments:

Post a Comment