Friday, May 10, 2013

The Great Brownie Fiasco

I love walking in the door at home and inhaling the wonderfully rich and warm smell of baking!   Who doesn’t - right? J   I wish I could say that it was mine, but as you know Sami is the baker in our family.

Whenever I find myself at the local Longo’s (yes, my new favorite store) I’ll be walking in with my reusable bags (Mr. “Environmentally friendly” if you please!) and calling Sami with my free hand to find out what supplies she needs for her next baking extravaganza.   This is without fail.

Sami's delicious cheesecake brownies!  
OMG - they were so good
As you can see I’m really just playing the supporting role on this venture, by bankrolling the purchase of key ingredients.  Clearly, with Sami taking full control of the kitchen and I’m off the hook when it comes to producing anything in the baked goods department.   Thank goodness cos’ she’s become quite adept at baking over the past year or so, both enjoying it and ensuring that we always have a slice, cake or cookies freshly baked and in the fridge.   Yes, I realize that I’m completely spoilt!

A couple of weeks ago she sourced out the recipe for an amazing cheesecake brownie - to die for seriously!

Now one thing to know about Sami is that she’s a complete perfectionist – especially when it comes to her baking!   After they were done and they were out cooling she tested them, but unfortunately for the cheesecake brownies they didn’t quite measure up to her high standards….

Now I wouldn’t say she sulked per see, and I know she put a lot of TLC into them however, when I tasted them I liked them….a lot!   J       

My personal baker!
Later that week when she opened the refrigerator to look for something to eat after school she searched high and low but couldn’t find the brownies anywhere.  Slightly perplexed she asked me if I’d thrown them out…(now this was the part that I’m not proud of).  Indeed I had in fact, eaten all of the brownies – every last one of them.   I know, I know – I’m a bad father!

When I sheepishly admitted to eating them all she was non-too pleased with me.  The look she gave me when I told her just said it all… you know the one, the one that only your teenage daughter can give you…   It starts off with a sense of complete exasperation (almost a scowl); throw in some eye rolling, and a couple of sighs for good measure sort of look. Never one to hold back (yes, just like me!), she let me have it.

“Are you serious?”  Followed up by “really?”   As she stomped off to her room…   And this coming from a lovely well adjusted teen so I knew I was in trouble.   Yeah, she was mad! 
  
Fortunately she doesn’t stay mad very long and was soon back down in the kitchen trying to figure out what to have for a snack now that her father had showed his true “piggy colors” and scoffed all her brownies.   I could hear her, under her breath - "unbelievable!" as she shook her head when I tried to speak to her.

The sad fact is that now every time she bakes, there is always the little dig about trusting me with the cookies, or brownies.  No matter how many times I apologized (pitiful really) she knows she has the moral high ground on this one.   

Bugger!

Sami baking....and I dare say one of her
favorite things to do.  In her new apron no less! 
To make up for it when I was in Madrid recently I was shopping and came across a great apron for her – it read  “La Reina de la Cocina” (Queen of the Kitchen), which I brought as a peace offering.   I think the word “bribery” is a little strong, but clearly my conscience is still smarting from the dressing down she gave me.

Over the last year or so I’ve tried to make home cooked meals for dinner when the Z&S are with me, rarely resorting to take out although on occasion we do hit a local restaurant in the ‘hood just to explore.   It’s difficult cos’ Sami is a complete foodie and would eat out every meal if she could, experimenting with different styles, and genres whereas Zach is more of a home body that likes a home cooked meal – simple and tasty.

Clearly I’ve still got a ways to go in Sami’s “chef-o-sphere” (I think I just made that word up…) cos whenever I fish for a compliment on my cooking her only comments are generally “yeah, you’re improving” or “hhhmmm still needs work dad” – not exactly what I was hoping for, but as good as it gets I suppose.   Whereas Zach is pretty laid back with most meals and goes with the flow unless its really not good, then I hear about it.   J

Yes, one very tough crowd!





1 comment:

  1. T - I'm in Spain for the next few days, if you need some more ingredients. :-)

    ReplyDelete