Friday, October 10, 2014

What I learned this week...

For those of you following along at home you know that both Zach and Sami are very athletes.  Clearly, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree on this one, as both Jodie (my ex) and me have been accomplished athletes in our own right in a broad range of sports when we were younger. 

In fact, today Zach is playing in a Rugby 7’s tournament for his school, I'm excited for him to be out there playing again considering he missed the regular rugby season because of his two month summer camp experience.  All week he's been attended either early morning and /or after school training sessions in preparation for the tournament against a host of other schools.  I can't wait to hear how he and his team played today…

Here’s what I learned from Zach this week.  That a teenage boy really doesn't want his dad attending his school sports tournaments, especially if there is any chance that he may have a camera in his possession.  Yep, that would have been me !   So I guess the uninvited me is a little disappointed but at the same time I get it.  The last thing you want at that age is your parent hovering around and potentially embarrassing you, especially with a camera in hand.

Zach playing rugby last season 
On the Sami front, over the past couple of weeks she had been trying out for a new soccer club (Leaside) as her old team has decided to not continue in her age group.  It was an interesting situation because last year she also tried out for Leaside and made the team, although eventually deciding to play for another team in the same competition where she had two schoolmates already playing.  She was excited when the three of them all decided to trial again for Leaside this season after their team decided to disband.

Interestingly, after three intense 2 + hour training sessions and scrimmages we were told that all players would be notified over the weekend, but no later than Sunday.  So when Monday came around and we still hadn't heard anything I contacted the coach.  I must admit I was surprised to learn that they had decided to pass on Sami this year, because as the coach put it “we already have four strikers and I don’t need another”.  The bugger is that her two schoolmates both made the team, admittedly in different positions (winger and defense).  

A difficult conversation ensued, which went a little like this… “Hi sweetheart, I just spoke to the coach at Leaside.  Sorry, but you didn't make the team.  (Silence).  She told me that they already have four strikers and she didn’t want you to sit on the bench, but she wished you all the best for the coming season”.  (More silence)   At moments like these I’ve always been an advocate of get to the point and make it a quick conversation.  I did the same thing when I coached at club level and Team Canada for Australian Rules Football; never beat around the bush, tell them straight up!

Clearly she was very disappointed, especially as she now had to tell her two schoolmates that she wouldn’t be joining them at the new club.  To her credit, and its what I've come to expect from her is her ability to put this setback in the right context.  Her circumspect and practical approach reinforces her level of maturity, which is unusual for a 14 year old (well almost).  We talked about making the best of her opportunities, and that indeed there would be others and that as long as she tried as best she could, then good things would happen for her, both in soccer and in life.

Sami warming up for her school
game earlier this week
So that was the start of the week…admittedly a bit of a tough start! 

At the same time she had been trialing for Leaside she had also been trialing to get into the Sanjaxx Soccer Academy.  The academy prepares players for varying levels of competition, with many past attendees on soccer scholarships to Universities in the United States. So when we got word late yesterday afternoon that she had been accepted into the Sanjaxx Soccer Academy we were all thrilled for her.

Coach Laza she that she has a lot of potential but that she would have to work very hard over the winter to continue improving her skills and especially her fitness so that next Spring when they began tournament play (mostly in the US) that she would be ready to join the team.  Interestingly, the Leaside club is an affiliate of the Academy and so some of the players also train with them over the winter…ironic isn't it?

She was thrilled with the prospect of continuing on with the Academy after her trial period and especially under the tutelage of Coach Laza, whom she has a very high regard for, and especially his coaching style.

So here’s what I learned from Sami this week - she is emotionally resilient and mature beyond her years and that she has the ability to put things into perspective even when she is disappointed. However, instead of dwelling on the negative like many of us do (I might, but just a bit!) she moves on and quickly puts it behind her.  

This skill alone will take her far in life!

Clearly I'm the fortunate one in this equation as I continue to learn so much from them.  And as I often tell them – “there is no handbook for being a parent, I'm just doing the best I can”.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see this week I have a new look to my blog, as well, I'm moving my weekly blog back to Indelible Adventures to keep the branding intact and consistent for my business.   In other news, my website (www.indelible-adventures.com) is being targeted to be fully operational very soon so stay tuned... J

This weeks photos are from a Fall photo shoot at the Brickworks last weekend - enjoy!



Path into the Don Valley is so pretty in the Fall


Mirror images of the marshes near the Brickworks

Fall colors on the pond at the Brickworks

Reflections in the puddle 


The Mt Pleasant trestle road bridge over the ravine
The underbelly of the Mt Pleasant trestle bridge - so many patches!

Stump in the forest with the Fall leaves 


Fall leaves on the water


Sun through the Fall leaves in the Don Valley

Bike rack & sculpture - dual purpose

Reflections of the Brickworks chimney on the water 

Impressionist moment...

The wedding party


Brickworks garden

Shadow of a stump


The chairs - loved the eclectic colors

Speckled lilly pads on the pond at the Brickworks

Cloud reflections in the pond




No comments:

Post a Comment