Friday, March 20, 2015

Context & Spin

Come check out the Indelible Adventures website as I'll be posting podcasts in the next few days - yes, something new in the "Listen" section.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since returning from Ireland last Friday, the weather in Toronto this week has been fantastic.  There I said it, I can literally feel Spring in the air, even the 3.5 feet of snow on my front lawn before we left for Ireland is now down to a mere 2 feet and shrinking daily, and just to be clear when I look out from my front porch there is no snow at all on the north side of the street!

Now this coupled with the advent of daylight saving has brightened my mood considerably, nothing like coming home from work and it still being sunny outside.  I’m not sure about you but seriously my whole attitude to life changes when I can finally put winter behind me and can move on. 

That got me thinking about context and how our lives for the most part continue on a relatively linear path, whether it be the regularity of the seasons, your family or work – all remain generally constant.  Lets face it we bring the drama and emotions to bear, others may call it color and excitement, but again it depends on the day and the situation.  I like to think of it as my personal “spin”.   All I know is that at the end of the day we can either put positive or negative spin on every situation or moment to either create drama and angst or let it go gracefully and step back emotionally and see it for what it is - noise in the greater scheme of things.  

Lets look at one of my favorite examples of spin, as many of you know I grew up in the much more temperate climes of Australia and although having now lived in Canada for many years still show significant amounts of despair when it comes to winter.  I think for the most part because it’s so cold and grey for sooooooo long.  Now what gets my goat are those of you out there (yes, you know who you are) that delight in telling me that you “love the seasons”…    Bugger the seasons is my consistent response! 

Give me summer, and maybe a week or two of spring and then throw in a week of the Fall and we’re done.  I would be deliriously happy if that were the case, and if for some reason I was desperate to see the snow (I do love to ski and snowboard) then I could get on a plane and go do it once or twice a year to satisfy that craving.

See total spin because we had winters in Australia, and they could be cold, albeit no snow, but Australian houses don’t insulate nor do they have central heating and so therefore for the most part houses don’t retain their heat that well which can make for a rather chilly winter experience – a chill deep into your bones if you know what I mean.  On a positive note the winters are relatively dry and short so for the month or two that the temperature gauge hovers around 8 – 10C as a daytime high I could generally bear it no worries.

I even remember during my first year of University it snowed one winter’s day, and probably left about 4 – 6 cm on the ground.  One of my lecturers at the time was on exchange from Cranbrook, British Columbia (yes, he had a funny American sounding accent  J) and so he suspended our lecture that day so we could go build a snowman and have snowball fights out near the residence buildings.  It felt so foreign, but cool at the same time. 

 Anyway, back to the context of spin…where was I? 

I’m a big believer in the theory that when you wake up in the morning you choose what context you’re going to see your day through.  I don’t think its a conscious decision for the most part, but you definitely get a sense for how your day is going to pan out within the first 30 minutes of your day.

What happens if you stub your toe when you get out of bed, or perhaps get shampoo in your eyes in your morning shower, then burn your toast before realizing that you’re late for work.  Not a great start to the day, but it depends what sort of attitude and spin you put on the start of your day.  You could laugh it off, or be as mad as hell and frustrated....all day long!

I’ve personally found that you can alter your perception of the day depending on your outlook, almost no matter what happens short of something life threatening just by having a positive attitude and letting go of the emotions to the situations that you run up against.

This is an invaluable realization and life lesson that I’ve tried to impart on Zach and Sami, in that it’s all about the context and spin you apply to things.  The second part of this lesson is the self-realization that the only person that controls your emotional state is you.   You get to choose!

I guess growing up where and when I did, I had to figure life out for myself but I feel like I’ve learned all of these great life lessons over my lifetime that I want to share with Zach and Sami and for the most part I make no bones about sharing them, but I do worry sometimes that they aren’t being given the opportunity to learn them first hand, the hard way but perhaps that's just my spin!  J

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To celebrate and say a big thank you to my readers for surpassing this huge milestone of reaching a 100,000 readers I'm going to post a photo per day on the Indelible Adventures website, feel free to share the link and definitely come and check em out!   Enjoy.


Dublin street art

Dublin street art/graffiti

Added a dash of color to the city - Dublin

Can you see the cool vehicle inside - now that is art!

Color and designs of natural art - water running out of the mill pond - Limerick

Rustic juliette balcony in Limerick


The fishmongers store - Galway

Galway harbour

Sunlight painting a picture on the fountain - Galway

Droplets from the fountain - Galway

Early morning sunlight over the Atlantic in monochrome

Contrast in colors in a farmers field - Ballinskelligs

A rainbow but no leprechaun or pot of gold to be seen!
Low tide at Oyster Pier - the fishing boat is low with the tide
Good to know!    Note the bullet holes

Zach & TW at the waterfall just outside Killarney on the Ring of Kerry - yes, its that green!

Statue of Mary on the roadside - Ring of Kerry

Shadows in the sand - Ballinskellig


Blarney house adjacent to the castle


I became obsessed with lanes and alleyways on our trip to
Ireland - the colors are fab!


Great names for towns

Fine and intricate plaster works at the Royal Killareny Hotel





1 comment:

  1. best part of winter is coming in from the out

    ReplyDelete