Friday, March 6, 2015

The Myth

Thank you for reading my blog!  This past month we had a record number of readers (10,293 in total for February 2015), in addition we just past the 100,000 reader threshold for my blogs. Come check out the Indelible Adventures website and see the latest photos from our adventures.


          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently I was asked to write a business article on a topic of my choosing and not surprising I chose a topic close to my heart.  I entitled it “The myth of Work-Life balance”.  I didn’t realize how popular and polarizing this topic was until I told a couple of people about it and was surprised by the strong reactions it elicited.

I realize there are lots of factors that make up “Work–Life balance” but I settled on three areas that hit at the core of why I believe we’ve been sold a bill of goods on the topic.  Just sayin!                                                                  

Myth 1:  Hours worked equals productivity
             When we work longer we feel as though we’re contributing more, or adding greater value.  If you take away the countless emails, often-pointless meetings, and other daily distractions and get to the focused time we generally don’t need to be working long hours to provide your best value, in fact I would contend we should be working less but in a more focus and less distracted environment.  This is reinforced by our leaders who role model this type of behaviour and which transfers the feeling of obligation and expectations to their teams.

Myth 2:  We need to respond to every request/email irrespective
             Prior to technology invading our lives we were diligent for the most part and responded to notes and phone calls as they came to us, although in most cases this was confined to your Monday – Friday 9-5 type of environment.  However, in today’s climate we are always connected and “on”.  This creates added stress that we take home at night and over the weekends where it seems the norm to respond to all requests day or night irrespective…  Unfortunately, this is also being constantly reinforced by our corporate culture of “constantly having to prove you’re a team player” and always being available.

Myth 3:  Employers control work-life balance
Organizations tout that they support work-life balance yet they set you up on a daily basis where you have to choose between you and them.  Guess who wins 95% of the time?  What tends to happen is that we don’t advocate on our own behalf to stand our ground and say enough is enough.  We feel either unable or unwilling to have an honest and frank discussion with our manager or supervisor about setting expectations and boundaries to ensure everyone is on the same page.  Actually the only person who controls work-life balance is you! 

My personal realization of my Work-Life balance "issues" came to a head upon hearing that I been promoted to Partner with Accenture back in 2010.  After four years of doing everything humanly possible I had finally made it, after hearing the news I desperately wanted to be happy and bask in my achievement but all I felt was another check in the box and worse - completely empty and devoid of emotion! 

After the literally thousands of hours of work – day and night over that four year span, the million air-miles, and close to 700 nights in hotels and that’s before the guilt of being the constantly absent parent I had finally gotten what I striven for, but at what price?  Damn - self-reflection is a bugger!

Now on top of this emptiness throw in dad’s diagnosis with terminal brain cancer less than a month later… I realize I was lucky to have had the last six months with him, but being with my dad everyday during his illness it reinforced the fact that I had been neglecting both my personal happiness and my family for years while I pursued my career. 

I felt incredibly selfish but worse than that I had convinced myself, and all of those around me including those that looked up to me that I had perfected the whole work-life balance thingy.  Even to a blind man I was completely wrong headed on this!  However, I had convinced myself otherwise and stuck to the mantra of “you can have it all if you’re willing to work for it ”.

When I returned to work I was struggling emotionally to cope with these new found epiphanies plus the feelings of guilt and loss with dad - I was a mess!

Clearly I had gotten it all wrong and decided then and there that things needed to change, and that I needed to take control and set new boundaries.  So shortly after when a lead partner came to me and asked me to take a role in Calgary (a four hour flight each way) I said no.  “But that’s where the job is so you have to go...”  My response was “Not going to do it, and actually I think we need a different conversation.”

I had finally found my voice...


My final word of advice:
One size does not fit all and so finding the right mix and balance is a very personal thing, and not a formula or a mandate.  You need to define what things are important to you in life and strive to include those things no matter what.  Constantly monitoring and reevaluating this is important as you life evolves and changes, and so not a one time thing.  The most important thing is to keep the lines of communication open with your manager / supervisor to ensure everyone has the same expectations as your life evolves and changes.

Being your own best advocate and creating the work-life balance that is best for you is the most important thing you can do for yourself.  So rather than thinking of it as work-life balance perhaps we should recast it as “in pursuit of balancing personal happiness with a sense of profound fulfillment”. 

Now that’s a mouthful but what the heck it works…just ask me now.



          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks selection of photos is from our current trip to Ireland (with Zach, Sami & TW).  I took these today on our first day just outside Dublin.  Enjoy!

We're staying at the Celbridge Manor House built in 1737 as a school
for the village.  Commissioned by the Conolly family (distant relative)

Cotton mill at Celbridge

This is a massive birds nest on Castletown House estate



The Irish road system - think thin!

Colored store fronts of Celbridge

Celbridge has a lot of history...just like the rest of Ireland

White swan on the river keeping the ducks out of "his" part of the river


Signs for Castletown House

The river above the mill
Red door in the village

Loved the butcher shop on the High Street of Celbridge

Ireland is stone...everywhere you look!

Iron gates at the Manor House

Red berries in the garden - not for eating, only for decoration

The Manor House has such an eclectic garden in the afternoon sunlight

Front door keys of the Manor House
The banister at the Manor House

The front door knocker at the Manor House - such vibrant colors!
...and wonderful workmanship

Lead light windows inside the Manor House

Mural on a wall in the village of Celbridge - The Toucan is the original
logo for Guinness, but no idea what the pelican has to do with beer???

Urban art in Celbridge


Zach & Sami at the entrance to the massively long drive way at Castletown House

Zach & Sami on the front steps at Castletown House

Zach & TW sitting on the front steps at Castletown House
Yes - Grandfather Conolly's relatives owned Castletown House

The front door bell to Castletown House

It certainly is a grand house, although not open to the public until later in the month


The grounds were amazing!




The portico at Castletown House - Palladium Style house


Sami climbing a stump at Castletown House

Water cascading over the lock at Castletown House

Street signs are in both Gaelic and English

Ingenious way of adding pipes on the bridge in Celbridge



1 comment:

  1. Honest, revealing and oh so relevant. Many thanks Terence and have fun in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete