Friday, July 3, 2015

One time

Come check out the updated Indelible Adventures website with the ability to now shop (see the navigation bar at the top of the site) for a Toronto Urban Art Photography Tour and soon to come books, photo collections, special travel offers  and much more.  Stay tuned!

     ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly, the first impression is the most important thing when meeting someone for the first time and so we tend to put our best foot forward.  I think the rule is that you can tell within the first ten seconds whether you like the person or not, primarily using your intuition which is fine if you're meeting in person, but with business apps like LinkedIn it's much more difficult to gauge the person's intentions and indeed, if there is any common ground.

Admittedly getting asked to join someone’s online network is a bit of a leap of faith if you've never met them in person before.  The first task is to review their profile or online resume to see whether we can relate in any way.  Next - are they my equal or close to it?  Next - does their job history translate into something good enough to be associated with or perhaps may be of value to me now or in the future?  All these types of questions fly through your subconscious in the blink of an eye, most not even consciously but all the while weighing up if it's a good fit.

Since I've started my new business I've been networking like crazy trying to develop different groupings of people in a broad range of industries and roles.  I often get asked who am I and what exactly do I do?. I tend find myself providing my interpretation of what I think will resonate best with the person I'm communicating with or what will enable us to relate on some level.  Finding common ground can be tricky, as deep down we all want to feel a connection but more importantly we want to fit in.  Not surprisingly, we all have a common tendency to categorize or slot people into our own mental model in terms of jobs, roles and work history.

Depending on who I'm talking to I'm sometimes more of a writer, other times more of a photographer, yet other times more of a management consultant...  Often it can be difficult to get their head around the fact that I’m all three plus a Travel Concierge and guide as it's way outside the norm to have so many things going on.  I don't fit neatly into a box or a mental model.  Invariably the next question is, “great – but what do you actually do?” 

I guess what they're really asking is “how do I make a living?”  Once, they know that, then they can categorize me…  Personally I find it fascinating that we all want to label stuff especially people.  

What I really want to tell them is that I'm piecing together a life from all these things, following my passions and dreams…with the underlying tenant being flexibility.  Admittedly, it can be perceived as a little too airy-fairy and so for the most part I have to temper my response lest it triggers the “not reliable, or doesn't want to work hard or even better yet – too much of a dreamer” tag.  Strangely following your dreams and pursuing happiness is seen as selfish, and a little off putting by those caught in the spin cycle of life.

The drive to fit in and comply with the societal norms is deeply rooted, so I realize that unless I have a strong relationship with the person I usually don't get into the details as to what I'm doing beyond the cursory stuff.   

I often get told, albeit mostly by strangers that they wished they had my life with all the excitement and glamour (very little to be honest.) J The one consistent thing I say is “so why don’t you?” 

What people don't see is that to get to where I am today there have been many tough personal decisions, sacrifices and difficult choices which have enabled me to redefine who I am, not by my role or the prestige of working for a large global company or even the big fancy house that I decided against so that I could have almost no mortgage and rechannel the capital into starting a business and traveling more with Zach and Sami.  

There is no doubt that the pursuit of happiness is a first world condition, and may seem an odd concept to many people but my personal realization over the past four years is that life is so incredibly short.  There are no “do-overs”, no dress rehearsal for the precious life we have, although we all seem to take it for granted, hence my desire to embrace life and pursue happiness every day.  I'm not waiting for retirement!  

Clearly some days are better than others, but living your life on your terms is incredibly invigorating, albeit a little scary at times...

As I reflect on my personal journey, I think one of the most important takeaways is that Zach and Sami have a loving and caring father, whom they spend lots of time with exploring the world around them .  The focus is not based on material things but experiencing things – I’m not sure you could have a better life in which to grow up. 

What was most heartening for me was when Zach learned that he got into Georgetown University for the summer program, he couldn't wait to tell me about getting into the program but in the same breath asked if we could do a road trip on our way down to Washington DC, via New York.  I'm not sure which he was more excited about - the summer program or the road trip with me?

I'm so proud of him for getting accepted into the summer program, which he did almost completely single handedly but even more happy that we have the type of relationship that he wanted to spend quality time together on a road trip exploring Washington DC and New York together - watch out MoMA, the Guggenheim and of course our favourite - the Strand bookstore. 

You simply can't buy these types of experiences - especially because we only do this one time!

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These photos are from my Canada Day shoot in Kingston, Ontario.   Enjoy!

 
Antique store window on Princess Street


Freshly painted gas pipes at the back of a building

Gorgeous garden beds


Fountain bubbles

Historic bank sign

Morrison's is an institution in Kingston!

Canada Day at the marina

Duckling by the boat ramp

Afternoon clouds


On the harbour

City Hall from ground level
Good place to be to celebrate Canada Day

Art deco lamp at Cooke's Emporium


Chandelier at Cooke's
My sort of chandelier

Old style sign at Cooke's

Beautiful stained glass window

Royal coat of Arms over the entrance to Cooke's

Tibetan prayer flags and sign post adjacent to the Toucan pub

Gorgeous floral display


Lights over the entrance to the movie theatre

Ornate building pillar

Everyone seems to be enjoying Canada Day!


Church clock tower - but alas not working


No comments:

Post a Comment