Friday, March 11, 2016

Four-day flip!

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 
 Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you know I’m an avid traveler and love the explore the world around me -  yes its truly one of my passions.  To help both support and quell my thirst for travel and adventure I created what I like to call a “four-day flip”. 

Once a month, if I don’t have a trip already planned then I choose, somewhat last minute a list of perhaps three or four locations that I want to explore, which could be either domestic or international.  When I research them I compare the following attributes - flight availability, cost and overall travel time to help narrow down my options.  This generally leaves a couple of locations that are feasible, and then, you guessed it.  

I flip a coin!  

For example last November my list of locations was initially between Dubai, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and Berlin.  My research began in earnest with less than a week before my targeted travel date, which is pretty normal for a four-day flip adventure as you tend to end up with some great deals on flights and hotels. 

Dubai was eliminated even though the initial flight time to Dubai was great, I could also procure some great deals on both flights and hotels, however the issue became getting home.  Which looked, no matter which was I cut it was going to be at least 48 hours…  So a non-starter this time around.

Hong Kong was eliminated primarily because I’ve been there so many times already, and although I love the city and the vibe I felt like I needed a new adventure.

So now it came down to a flip between Tokyo and Berlin.  The last time I was scheduled to go to Japan was the same week the Tsunami hit a couple of years ago.  Even after it hit Japan I was still eager to go, but everything began to disintegrate starting with the hotel that was closed because of the rolling electricity blackouts and non-guarantee of fresh water.   Yeah, sort of a big deal at the time!  

Heads – Tokyo, tails – Berlin…

Tails it was, so I boarded a plane Thursday night bound for Berlin, returning on Monday after four amazing days spent in beautiful and historic Berlin.  By the way I would definitely recommend a long weekend in Berlin as it has so much to offer.  You can read all about my visit in my blog “Connection Berlin” and as a pre-read would recommend “Essentials”.

For the most part I always have a list of places that I want to go explore, although this does continually evolve and change.  Here are three things I always do when planning a four-day flip, or any travel for that matter:  J

Indelible Tip #1:  Research is key to a successful four-day flip.  My method is to triangulate a few of my go-to websites to get the best deals on airfares – Travelocity, Kayak, Expedia all aggregate the best last minute flights, and surprisingly if you’re patient even between them for the same carriers you might get a significantly lower fare.  Just be careful of the fine print about cancellations or changes as this may impact you. 

For finding the best accommodations including hotels I generally use Booking.com, although depending on the city its sometimes worth double-checking Priceline.  As well, you can’t forget Airbnb is also another great option and well worth checking out.

Indelible Tip #2:  Less is more - when you’re researching your cities its important, for me at least to have a specific interest or reason to visit.  When I think about my initial list of cities I always use Travel Advisor to help me narrow down a list of things I’d like to see and do on my visit. 

Clearly the tricky part is not to overload or restrict your self by having an enormous “to-do” list.  Hence I try to limit my itinerary to a small number of things, with the majority of the time being spent on exploration.  This translates into me walking the city with my camera and soak up the vibe and culture as much as possible.

Indelible Tip #3: Loyalty Programs When I travel I ensure that I have enrolled in loyalty programs to accumulate points, thus allowing for upgrades, gifts and free stuff.  The tricky part is figuring out which ones to enrol in and trying to stick to them so that you can maximize your program point accumulation.

Having an airline on each of the big alliances is important as there is no guarantee that you’ll always get the best deals on Star Alliance or OneWorld.
I have the majority of my airline points on Air Canada (Star Alliance) and Qantas (OneWorld).  The beauty is that if I fly with any of the other airlines on either alliance I still accumulate air miles with either Air Canada or Qantas.   It’s surprising how quickly you can accumulate status and take advantage of the benefits.

It’s the same with hotel programs – I’ve been a loyal and long term member of Marriott and now have lifetime status because of the large number of hotel night stays.  But unlike the large airline alliances the chains are not broadly linked.  Over the years I’ve tended to enrol in almost every hotel loyalty program known to man – no harm in joining and seeing what benefits and partners they have.  You might be surprised at how big their network is and where else you could accumulate points.  Getting the odd loyalty award is all good!
This week I’m writing my blog from somewhere over the Pacific Ocean as Zach, Sami and I jet our way to Australia for our March break vacation.  This is a big trip even for us, as it’s close to 30 hours door to door, so you really have to want to do it and its certainly not for the faint of heart – especially flying economy. 

Everything is upside down with a time difference being 16 hours ahead in Melbourne from what we left in Toronto.  Let me just say that the jet lag is ferocious! J  It’ll take a couple of days to sort out and be just about in sync by the time we’re ready to leave and come back. 

So for the next couple of weeks stay tuned for your blogs coming to you, along with lots of new photographs from Australia.  

It’s going to be awesome!




 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hanoi Posting”

A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Episode 36: Uncompromising

The wound on Bill's head was healing nicely and with the stitches now removed it hurt a whole lot less.  He was excited at the thought of seeing Mai, but also a little apprehensive especially given Phuong's information on who had attacked him in his apartment.  Was this a set up he thought, although try as he might to expunge the thought from his mind...it kept scratching away in the back of his mind.

Mai stood barefoot on the marble patio with a brightly colored sarong tied neatly above her breasts, she was transfixed by the brilliant tropical sunset over the lake and was so absorbed that she didn't hear Anh approach. Anh wrapped her arms around Mai's waist and nuzzled her ear before kissing her neck lightly.

This was the perfect time of day and Mai's favorite, she truly felt at peace bathed in the late afternoon sunlight as it slowly changed colors from the reds and yellows to the deep purples of the early evening.  It was rare that Anh and Mai's paths crossed at this time of day, as generally Mai's day was just getting under way.   

Anh was easily bored with the tedium of small talk, and especially with the embassy set that Mai tended to float so beautifully within.  However, more than anything she despised the revolutionary council and dismissed them as a traitorous group that should be lined up against the nearest wall and shot.  She felt deeply betrayed given that they had fought for so long for independence, only to now open up the country to all the western powers once again.  

At least she controlled the Chợ Đồng Xuân as she saw fit, without interference from anyone and ruled it with a iron fist.  This was her turf and the revolutionary council knew better than to interfere especially since she paid so handsomely each month, which undoubtedly kept the local coffers flush and thus ensured everyone gave her a free hand.

It as Mai who spoke first as they stood in the diminishing light, "I finally heard from my Australian friend" she said brightly.  Anh didn't have to enquire as to who she meant as it was immediately obvious.  "So the Australian has finally resurfaced" she said with a slight edge to her voice. "Yes, I'm seeing him next Tuesday" Mai said defiantly as she turned to look Anh in the eye.  

No one spoke to Anh like this.  She had always loved Mai's fierce and uncompromising courage when faced with situations like this - she was like a cornered tiger Anh thought.  Anh was silent momentarily as she contemplated her response.  Then finally said, "he is unreliable and disappears for long periods, clearly he is using you" she spat with a venom so rarely seen by Mai.  Mai laughed softly, "you've always instructed me to use my male suitors to my advantage, whose not to say I'm not doing that now to him" she mused. 


Anh knew Mai, better than Mai herself and could see that she felt something deep for this man...



Next week:  Episode 37:  Hostage

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's small selection of photos are from a recent photo shoot at the Toronto airport.   

Enjoy!  

TW


Black limos all lined up waiting for trade


My favourite word!

The to and fro of the travellers arriving into Toronto's terminal 1

Hhhmmm where should I go???

Love the lines 



No comments:

Post a Comment