Friday, September 16, 2016

Sweet conversations

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 

Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since Sami attended tryouts for the U18 Canadian soccer team over the recent September long weekend she has been waiting patiently for the notifications about whether she made the team or not, even though they said that it would be a few weeks before they decided on the final squad.

She was just one of 36 young women that attended the tryouts from all over Canada...can you say competitive?   After the three days of intensive two-a-day training sessions, which included a number of games, she was understandably reserved about her chances of making the team, citing the strength of the players who attended the elite camp and an inkling of doubt as to whether she felt she measured up was starting to creep in...

So for the past week she’s been a little more emotional that normal and I put it down to her starting a new school year (Yr. 10) with a lot of academic expectations (that she puts on herself – including a couple of Yr. 11 courses that she has decided to take so that would be ahead academically).  Of course there's the whole social aspect of starting a new school year with new classmates and finding your feet again.  And now that I look back on it its clear that what was playing on her mind was the pressure she was feeling about making the team.

This week her class has been on a school trip to Ottawa and last night she called to ask if I’d gotten any emails from the coaches or any news at all.  After checking my email I indeed noticed that I had an email from the coach and so after quickly scanning it I read it to her over the phone.  The gist of it was that they had submitted their recommendations for the team to the Canadian governing body that would review and contact the girls individually.  It was vague as to when that would happen exactly, but they’d find out before the end of the month…   I could feel the disappointment in her voice, as I tried to quell her fears of not making the team. 

As ever, I tried to be neither overly optimistic nor pessimistic but pragmatic in my approach.  I explained that you can’t rush the process and that she shouldn’t read too much into not hearing yet and that “things would play themselves out no matter what”.  As the Canadian national team head coach for Australian Rules football I’ve been in similar situations when choosing a team to play internationally, the selection process is the somewhat easy part but it’s the final selection and notifying the players that's so incredibly tricky.  It’s fraught with extremes of happiness (for the ones that make the squad) and the depths of disappointments (for those that don’t make the squad), and in some cases you’ll break the spirit of the player if not delivered in the right way...

Although, trust me by this time I was also starting to get a little nervous as well and hoping that no matter what that she would be communicated to with respect and with the least amount of drama either way.

This morning I was working in the office and my mobile phone rang, it was about 9:45 am and I reached for it when I saw her name flash on the screen. 

Sami  Hi dad
Me      Hi love - is everything okay?
Sami  Guess what? (pause for effect – yes, she follows in my sense of the       moment)   Dad I made the team! 
Me      Wow!  
I’m very so proud of you love – congratulations… (Okay my eyes may have watered just a little at this point – hey, I’m a sensitive and proud father.
You did it sweetie!  (Me with a smile on my face the size of Australia!)
Sami  I’m so happy right now...
Me     You thoroughly deserve it after all of your hard work.  I’m thrilled for you...
                     We need to celebrate this weekend when you’re back
Sami  That sounds great!
Me     You’ve made my day – I love you.  Enjoy your day and I’ll see you tomorrow night at school
Sami  Bye dad – love you too!

This short, but sweet conversation is one of the high points in my life.

When I told Zach this afternoon I was hearted by his thoughtful and proud brotherly response.  He was thrilled for her and said something, which actually caught me a little off guard.  He reflected on all the sacrifices she’d made to follow her passion for soccer and said, “she’s given up a heck of a lot to get where’s she’s gotten – no social life, not able to do things with her friends or go out, and I’m happy for her and can’t wait to go watch her play for Canada next summer”.

Sibling love has never been a focal point of their relationship, but I think that I now see that they are much closer that what I ever imagined and something that I have always hoped for and although a bit of a rarity beautiful to witness first hand non-the-less.   He was genuinely proud of her accomplishments - so sweet!

So now the saving up begins – Zach’s graduation trip next summer in Europe and our backpacking adventure, plus Israel to watch Sami play for Canada in the 20th Maccabiah Games.  Just so you know this is the third largest sporting event in the world after the Olympics and the World Cup of Soccer with 80+ countries participating, 40 sports and almost 10,000 athletes. The opening ceremony is in Jerusalem on July 4th and runs through to the 18th.  I’m excited for her and can’t wait to see her on the world stage, but more importantly excited for her future and all that she has before her.

We'll find out in the coming months who they'll play in their pool, but I'm sure its going to be very much like the world cup and all the usual suspects - USA, England, France, Italy, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil and of course Australia...  Her next big tournament is in Bermuda in the first week of October where she'll be playing on her school varsity team against other schools from all over North America.  Such a great experience!

Isn’t it’s crazy to think that I already have a full dance card for next summer in terms of travel and adventures, but there you have it.  

Yes, one proud papa!!!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”  A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Come visit "Hanoi Posting" at its new home!   New episodes are being added this week...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To commemorate Sami's achievement, this week's photos are a selection of recent soccer shots. 

Enjoy!

TW
Taken last year when they won the gold medal at the North American games

Her first jersey with her name on the back - super happy about that!

Taken at the recent tournament in Stamford, Connecticut

Readying for a throw in...

Tagging up in mid field

Warming up with shots on net 
The corner kick marking against Los Angeles

Taking on two defenders close to goal - to header or not to header...that is the question

Protecting her goal on an early corner kick
In action, with her mum and grandpa watching from the sidelines

Sami and her Toronto team mates - Silver medalists 2016

Sibling love - taken in Melbourne, Australia during March break this year




No comments:

Post a Comment