Friday, November 4, 2016

High Expectations

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   If you enjoy what you read here please subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips. In addition, if you'd like to follow me on all my social media - see the links below. 

Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    

         --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week Sami was elected as her grade representative on the student council….  Seriously?   What is it with my two and their eagerness to over achieve on absolutely everything – okay, silly question I guess... 

I’m so proud of her and this latest achievement, and continually blown away by what they’ve already achieved in their lives – I’m the luckiest dad on the face of the planet, and feeling blessed to have such fabulous kids (almost adults).

Not to be outdone by the accomplishments of my son and daughter I have news of my own that I want to share.  

About this time each year I begin planning for next year and outlining what I want to achieve in terms of continuing to develop and grow the Indelible Adventures brand. This year has been no exception with me rethinking every aspect of my business and formulating a plan to drive on some important new objectives.  Strangely, the nerdy part of me actually enjoys the visualization and planning part.  I can hear you saying to yourself “Thank you Sherlock!…”

Well, my first order of business is to blow up my existing website and rebuild it from scratch.  After two plus years of living with it, I’ve come to the conclusion that its not meeting my needs...not by a long shot!   Actually, I’ve been feeling a little frustrated with its lack of flexibility and the difficulty I have with adding or updating content on the site plus not to mention its outdated “look and feel”. In addition, my web-store is on a separate website, my blog is on another and so on.  Hence, my objective is to aggregate all of my content, ecommerce store and blogs into a single new website.  

So, out with the old and in with the new I say!

In fact, last weekend was spent writing my website requirements document…(okay, that’s your outside voice btw), a necessary evil I’m afraid because without it you end up with something that doesn’t meet your needs, and I’ve been there, done that so don’t want to fall into that trap again.

Essentially it’s going to be a total refresh that incorporates more meaningful and usable content especially related to travel, photography and reinventing your life.  Can you tell I’m excited about the new site already???

Clearly I need to curb my enthusiasm and recognize the fact that a new website is great and all, but merely a vehicle to develop my brand. Only time will tell, but I think getting my new website out into the marketplace will be a huge step forward in terms of continuing to grow my base of avid adventurers.  Did I say that a lot more of my best photography will be available for purchase? 

So next is - beginning November 15th I’ll be publishing my 30 for 30 series again.  This is an opportunity for me to go deep into my photo archives and choose 30 photos from my recent travels that haven’t seen the light of day, but I believe to be the “hidden gems”.  Then I’ll publish them on my various social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+) as a gift to my loyal following.  

You're welcome!

Next comes one of the real high points of next year, the publishing of my next book!

This one is going to be a coffee table book that showcases my travel photography which I’ve captured over the past few years.  My overly ambitions business self wants this on shelves mid to late April 2017, but clearly there is still much to do before I have a firm launch date and will definitely keep you all in the loop as to how its progressing. Now, the first big step is identifying the best 200 – 300 photos from my archive, which now numbers close to 90,000 photos.  Oi vey, no small task…

And lastly, my “pièce de résistance” is even bigger than what's already been mentioned...

I plan to hold an exhibition of my photography.  I'm working with my marketing team on sourcing a gallery in downtown Toronto with a target date of mid April.  Ideally I'd love to coordinate the exhibition of my photography with the launch my new book, but a lot of work in front of us to meet this timeline. 

Over ambitious I hear you say…well, yes, but isn’t the beauty of dreaming big?

I’ve always been a big believer in doing just that and then running toward your dream wholeheartedly, not surprisingly when you unburden yourself with doubt and do everything in your power to meet your dreams things seem to come together.  Some people may call it providence, destiny or fortune, but I strongly believe that you, and you alone hold the keys to making your dreams come true.  One thing I've noticed, is that if you observe successful people you'll see that the harder they work, the luckier they seem to get...hhhmmm, food for thought!

So on that note I'll leave you with one of my favourite sayings, from Steve Jobs and his closing comments from the commencement speech he gave at Stanford University in 2005.  
"Stay hungry, stay foolish..."   That just about sums it up don't you think!




p.s.  By the way if you haven't watched this video check it out on YouTube.  Definitely worth the watch!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hanoi Posting”  A series of fictional micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Come visit "Hanoi Posting" at its new home!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's photos are from my recent trip to Portugal.  

Enjoy!

TW

Lisbon in the autumn

Trams chugging up the hills in the Alfama district
of Lisbon

Lisbon is the birthplace of the ubiquitous "tuk-tuk" which now spans the globe...  These
beauties parked and ready to ply their trade around town.

Pop up shops come in all shapes and sizes in Lisbon - very cool!

Lisbon's Golden Gate bridge modeled after the very same in San Francisco

The view of Lisbon from the São Jorge Castle (Castle of St George)

Yeah, Lisbon's old!

Loved the trams that ran along narrow streets on very steep grades

Passersby framed by the darkened doors of the local 
neighborhood church

Lisbon finds many ways to celebrate its rich maritime past - sometimes in the
smallest of ways

Did I say steep grades - this tram was built for the hills...
and almost a funicular 

Belem Tower on the approaches to Lisbon harbour was built in 1515...yes, over 500 years ago - crazy!

A birds eye view from the top of Belem Tower.

The view from the Padrao dos Descobrimentos
(Monument to the Discoveries) along the coast from Belem


Couldn't resist this throw back sign - cool 

Gorgeous neighborhood flower shop in the old city

Roasting chestnuts on the streets of Lisbon


The giant clam shell at the Pena Palace - during my day trip to Sintra. It was 
definitely worth the trip


Pena Palace was the summer palace for the King of Portugal, with its
beautiful Moorish architecture.  Isn't it just stunning?





No comments:

Post a Comment