Friday, August 2, 2013

Amo Italia!

I arrived on Tuesday morning after an overnight from Toronto to Milan via Zurich.  From Milan’s Malpensa airport it is only about an hour and twenty minutes to get to my favorite part of the world - Lake Como and the northern Italian lakes.  They are truly spectacular and for some strange reason I feel completely at home here... go figure? 

The ferry dock at San Giovanni di Bellagio
Lake Como, Lombardia.  Italy
 Last year I rented a one-bedroom apartment in a little fishing village 2 km south of Bellagio called San Giovanni di Bellagio and had a phenomenal, albeit short stay.  This year it was an easy choice as I’m in the middle of editing my book so needed lots of peace and quiet, and instantly thought of returning to San Giovanni.  I booked early enough to get the entire ten days which for this time of year is rather rare to say the least.

When I arrived Carla was here to greet me and after a quick transition I was set to go. San Giovanni is primarily a pedestrian village with no cars being able to fit in its ancient and narrow alleyways, so perfect for a quick stroll to the ferry dock, a mere two minutes from the apartment and even the local supermarket (Migross market) on Via Alessandro Volta is a mere eight minute walk.  

Ferry crossing Lake Como heading
toward Bellagio
I must admit it’s fun to shop where the locals shop, and with no other tourists in sight I get to practice my extremely poor, but I’d like to think enthusiastic Italian, strangely the shop keepers endure my mis-pronunciations, often smiling, nodding, speaking slowly back to me and when stuck revert to English to help me out.  I think they’re getting used to me by now. J

Each morning I’ve been around 6:00 am, make a fresh pot of coffee and sit outside on the patio as the sun slowly starts to rise over the mountains and nearby lake.  It’s so amazing to hear nothing but songbirds at that hour, and I’ve found it to be a super productive time to work as well.

Most mornings I work for 4 hours or so, until it gets too hot on the patio then take a break and walk into Bellagio along the lake via the Giardini di Villa Melzi. Did I tell you that wild hydrangeas grow everywhere along the lake? They are unbelievably stunning and colorful to say the least and grow everywhere...

Then late in the afternoon I'll sit down with a glass of my favorite Brunello perched by my computer and start again.  Its purely magical to be sitting outside on the patio nestled under my grape laden pergola, with its sun dappled light bathing my wine and computer in the beautiful afternoon light.  Man I could get used to this life!

My mornings always start this way - out on the patio
with a cup of steaming hot coffee
 In terms of my writing production, so far its been better than I had expected, in fact before I came to Italy I was afraid that the task at hand was almost too large to handle in the two short weeks I was going to be here.  Thoughts of writers block kept flashing through my mind… Fortunately all's well with regard to my progress and very happy with where I am so far.

Tomorrow I’m going to take an early break in the morning and seek out a bit of an adventure, still undecided about location, perhaps Varenna, which is further up Lake Como. Interestingly given all the times I’ve visited this part of the world I've never ventured further north on the lake than Bellagio.  We're expecting another scorcher (hot and sunny) again tomorrow, the weather has been spectacular!   Passare la crema solare (Pass the sunscreen please).

Sorry it’s a short blog this week but I have lots to do and so need to get back to my editing J


Arrivederci! 







2 comments:

  1. if you don't go see the Madonna del Ghisallo, i will kick your teeth in. you are in pure, pure, pure ccyling country, and even though you decided to play a wimpy sport like aussie footie, there is a real sport out there, and you need to go pay homage. and buy me a coffee. wait, i live in colombia. i will buy the coffee. you buy my flight to italy. :-) :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even know the way I finished up right here,
    but I thought this post was once good. I do not know who
    you might be however definitely you are going to a well-known blogger
    if you aren't already. Cheers!

    Feel free to visit my page ... Bike Charger

    ReplyDelete