Friday, August 9, 2013

So...

After almost two weeks in Italy I’m ready to get on that plane tomorrow and come home…back to reality if you will.   It’s been a great two weeks, but I’m ready to sleep in my own bed and be in own house again after a couple of hectic weeks of editing and non-stop writing.   Almost as if I need a holiday from my holiday, not sure I want to tell my boss that…

Lake Como - my home for the
past two weeks
My progress to date has been good with seventeen chapters edited and high hopes of perhaps finishing another couple between today and tomorrow when I arrive home.  Realistically I’m going to need about 24 – 27 chapters to meet the 70,000 word requirement, which translates roughly into a 220 – 230 page book when its all said and done.  Yes, still much work to do!

I’ve learned a lot through this process; firstly that my early writing was rather poor and somewhat patchy…and that on reflection much of it needed to be re-written with the exception of a couple of good stories thrown into the mix.  Secondly that the process of editing is not for the faint of heart, it’s a laborious task that requires a lot of patience and attention to detail.  And finally the more I read my work the less it made sense – go figure!    I think I’ve gotten to the point of reading it too much which is rather disconcerting given that I have to have the darn manuscript ready for submission by the third week of August.  That being said I realized that to be effective I needed to try to read each chapter as though it was my first time, through the eyes of a new reader each time.

As well, this week’s blog commemorates a rather important milestone in that it marks the 100th blog in the series.  Its almost impossible to believe that a hundred weeks ago I started writing my weekly stories, initially to share with you the journey of my preparation for the hike in Papua New Guinea in 2011.   Since that time I’ve written over 130,000 words and still counting…
  
This morning at the Duomo in Milan
It’s been an amazing journey so far and I wanted to thank everyone of you who’ve read my blog over those 100 weeks, yes all 25,000 of you!   Never in a million years would I have believed it, if someone had told me that I would be a writer one day and getting ready to publish a book let alone have a weekly blog that’s read by hundreds of people from around the world each week…it’s completely mind blowing!

I’m sorry that this week’s blog is again relatively short, but as you can imagine there is a bit of a time crunch on and I need to make a final push to finish my manuscript so I can get it in by the end of next week.  J

Thanks again for your love and support, I certainly couldn’t have done it without you all.


Ciao - TW








No comments:

Post a Comment