Friday, December 5, 2014

Moulded

As I've gotten older I've become a lot more adept at sensing the undercurrent of situations, or should I say the unsaid.  For me whenever I'm in a situation where there’s something that isn't quite right I can just feel the vibe.  Interestingly, I was meeting with a couple of potential business partners recently, one was eager and engaged the other just smiled and contributed little to the conversation.  I knew shortly after I met them that things weren't feeling right.  Perhaps the smiler felt threatened as sometimes my passion can get the better of me but I could just sense that our discussion was going to go nowhere. I could feel it hanging over the conversation like an albatross!

Sure enough the next day, the eager party apologized but said that they had decided on a different approach…thank goodness!  Clearly I'm not everybody’s cup of tea but I do try to be friendly and endeavor to add value and make a difference wherever I can, which is very important for me personally.

I've always loved people watching, and over the years my enjoyment of observing people has carried over into becoming a student of studying body language.  It’s more often than not the body that gives away the real intent, even if the person can't or isn't able or ready to voice their opinion it's often obvious as to where they're at purely based on how they carry themselves, stand or make contact.

I often ask Zach and Sami what they observed with regard to a specific situation, to see if they can gauge what’s really going on.  Helping build their awareness and observation skills is an invaluable lesson in life that they will be unlikely to glean from the traditional school setting, so I've taken it upon myself to help build these skills.

Being authentic and genuine irrespective of the situation is critical, and that is something I learned from my dad.  Aways his own man, never one to suffer fools easily, nor easy to bullshit, he was, as he'd say “the genuine article”.  A tough minded, no-nonsense type of guy with his own view on the world, and he gave it to you straight whether you liked it or not. Even with me as a kid he didn't mince his words, and so I learned early on that sometimes the greater part of valor is to be tactful rather than hurtful or brutally honest all the time. Remaining genuine and honest, but picking how and when you’re going to provide your opinion or insights is more valuable for everyone involved, well that's my experience anyway.  Yes, a valuable lesson garnered in those early years! 

The other big life lessons he taught me were the power of hard work and how you earned respect. He impressed upon me that people will always judge you, but that if you worked hard and were reliable then if nothing more you’d have earned your own self-respect, which no one could ever take away.  He always led by example; a great case in point was his personal work ethic.

I remember going back to Australia for my brothers wedding in the early 1990’s, it was a last minute thing and so I surprised them on for the big day.  When I caught up with my dad after the ceremony he looked me up and down and said, “you’re looking a bit soft, what’s the matter aren't you working hard enough”.  

The very next morning at 6:00 am, now you have to appreciate the full picture here.  I'd just gotten off a 40+ hour series of flights from Toronto that took me via, Edmonton, Vancouver, Honolulu (Hawaii), Auckland (New Zealand), and Sydney before finally making it to Melbourne and rushing to the wedding as they were walking down the aisle.  Surprise!!!  

As I said, next morning he told me to get up as there was work to be done.  Groggily I dressed and stumbled outside into the early morning light, way too bright for my liking I can tell you especially after the prior couple of days.

I remember asking him what we had to do that was so pressing, especially so early in the morning...no response, he just kept walking ahead of me.  He had borrowed a large truck and as he stepped up into the cabin he motioned for me to get in.  For the next thirty minutes we drove out into the bush (state forest) to where he had purchased a temporary block that needed to be partially cleared and the low scrub cleaned up.  This was common practice in Australia at the time, and likely still the same today in that this was a way that the government could keep the forests relatively well maintained (plus help protect against fire hazards). Whatever you cleared was yours for the keeping, often producing quite a lot of firewood at almost next to no cost per tonne of wood.

So at 6:30 am we began loading the truck with two-meter lengths of wood from his wood stacks that had been approved by the Lands Department ranger.  The truck could carry up to three metric tonnes of wood so it took a bit of heavy lifting to stack the truck from ground height but we eventually loaded it then safely secure the load before the drive back home.

I thought (foolishly in retrospect) that one load was all he wanted, but by the third load I was beginning to wonder how much bloody wood a man needed.  It was close to noon, and with still no breakfast or drinks I was starting to feel the effects of the heavy work.  As we finished stacking the third load by the shed, he walked along and eyed the wood, I could see him calculating how much he had accumulated and determining if it was really enough for the day.

However, before I could call it a day he had me help him drag out the saw bench from the shed and position it close to one end of the wood pile.  Quickly checking the fuel tank and giving the saw blade a solid inspection he fired up the saw bench.  All I can remember was how impossibly noisy it was, this was a common job at home so not completely new to me. 

Over the next five hours we cut the entire stockpile of wood into 1-foot blocks, irrespective of the width of the wood.  Why 1 foot blocks you ask?  Well, his wood stove and heater could only accommodate that size or smaller.  If the wood were too wide in diameter then he would have to split it with the axe at some later date...when he needed it.  

Yep, we worked more than ten hours straight that day and I didn't see him take a break or breather all day long, and I guarantee he worked with greater pace and intensity than I could of ever imagined.  He was a human dynamo and led by example at every turn, and I must admit I was in awe of him.

So as you can see I come by my work ethic honestly and hope that I can impress upon Zach and Sami these same qualities, but perhaps with a lot less splinters, blisters and damaged ear drums (there were no earphones when we worked the saw bench).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week as a tribute to dad I'm just posting two photos taken in the last six months we had together, these photos hold a lot of sentimental value for me.  



Dad telling me a story - such a precious gift in so many ways

Dad and me under a eucalyptus tree - could anything be more fitting as a sign of Australia?




1 comment:

  1. Nice tale. In particular adore the photo of you and your dad walking - tells such a great story. Thanks for sharing.
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete