Friday, December 19, 2014

Stories from the road...

By the time you read this Zach, Sami and I will be in New York City after our eight hour drive from Toronto, barring any weather related challenges.  J    When I asked the two of them what they’d like to do for our week at Christmas they both responded that they’d like another road trip to Florida.

So here we are – on the road!   As you remember the rule when we travel together is that each of us has a half-day (time permitting) where the individual becomes the tour guide and have to research and define an itinerary for their time as tour guide, included in this is arrangement is an understanding that the other two have to go along with whatever each of us decided to do irrespective of whether we want to do it or not.  So positioning and polling each of us is an important first step on the way to solidifying the itinerary.

Zach has already announced, weeks in advance by the way that his half day is going to be spent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn exploring the music scene and soaking up the cool, hipster vibe. Sami has made it clear that her half-day is going to be shopping on 5th Avenue.  In addition, she’s thrown in Bloomingdales and Dillon’s Candy store on 60th.  So when they questioned me about what I’d like to do I told them skating at the Rockefeller Center under the golden statue and 60 foot high Christmas tree.  During the discussion we all chorused that we’d all like to spend some time in and around Union Square and in particular the Strand Book Store at Broadway and 12th, sure nothing more I like that to spend an hour browsing through a book store, especially love the Strand!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings from NYC!  Well, yesterday was memorable for all sorts of reasons, least of which was my 2:30 am wake up call so we could leave the house by 3:00 am.  I can hear you all asking why would you do that when you’re already on holidays?  Well, if you knew me well, you’d also know that I have a tendency to pack a lot of stuff into my days, so the day before leaving Toronto I booked the three of us in to go ice skating at Rockefeller Center from 4:30 – 6:00 pm as it was something that we all had wanted to do, plus its such a cool thing to do at Christmas in New York City. 

Therefore, to ensure we made it to NYC with plenty of time I decided that I’d have the car packed the night before, rustle the kids at about 2:50 am and bundle them into the car so they could go back to sleep while I drove.  It was a smart plan!   I had to wake them for the border crossing at Buffalo but other than that they slept all the way through to breakfast at 8:00 am, so an additional 5 hours of sleep in the car which was a bonus.  They woke, non-the-worse for wear.  

Driving at that time of day is perfect as the roads were completely clear of traffic all the way to within 40 miles of Manhattan, plus I  like to drive.  I think I enjoy the solitude of the road...

We made it to our hotel via the Holland Tunnel just before lunch, and after dropping our bags we headed out into the clear and chilly city.  Both yesterday and today have been particularly beautiful with blue skies and lots of sunshine!  The afternoon saw us take the N-R-Q line down to Union Square so we could visit the Strand as per our collective plan.  Then a subway ride back up to Time Square before the walk up to 50th street and over to Rockefeller Center for our skate date around sunset. 

I’m thinking that Rockefeller Center has to be one of the most celebrated and photographed places in NYC, especially at this time of year with the 60’ high Christmas tree, golden statue and ice rink all laid out and lite up.  The crowd was at least 5 – 6 deep with everyone hoping to get a glimpse and perhaps an unimpeded photograph of themselves in front of one of them.   Fortunately for us the pre-paid ticket was a blessing as they only let 150 people on the ice at any one time, so after checking in and getting our skates (yes, figure skates with the toe picks) we laced them up with excitement and anticipation.

It wasn’t until we were all set to go that Sami asked when the last time I took them skating… 

Hhhmmm, it would have been at least five years ago I said, with that she let out a nervous laugh as we all watched the Zamboni finish its final lap of the ice surface and head to the gate. 

I’m putting it down to the damn picks on the skates, but I can tell you I was soon acting as though I was a human Zamboni, as I found myself spread eagled on the ice quite a few times…yes, there may have been a curse or two under my breath as I landed heavily on the ice for the umpteenth time.  Now I realize why I was never a big fan of ice skating, that surface is incredibly hard!

Meanwhile, Zach had picked it back up pretty quickly and although his style is – shall we say “Australian” when it comes to ice-skating he was soon moving pretty well around the rink.  Sami was taking it a little easier by the boards, and after a few laps built her confidence enough to venture out into the rink proper, eventually making her way around without falling once.

At one point a little guy, probably 5 or 6 years old skidded and fell near her, she bent down and picked him up, next thing she knows he’s taken her hand and is skating with her confidently around the rink.  Well-played Sir!  Personally I think he’s figured out that if he falls in front of a pretty girl and she helps him out, then she’s fair game to skate with.  Smart kid indeed!

At one point I stood against the boards (no, not only cos’ my body was killing me from the constant spills) but because I wanted to soak in the atmosphere and moment that I was sharing with Zach and Sami.  We dragged ourselves off the ice at 6:00 pm, all exhausted but still reeling from the amazing experience we’d just shared.

I hope this memory will be one that they will look back on with fondness and joy and they remember our stories from the road.

Happy holidays everyone!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weeks photos are from our first day in New York City.  Enjoy!


It's not NY unless we visit a Dean & Deluca!  This one is a block from our hotel...

Nothing beats subway art in NYC - very cool mosaic 

Zach on the NYC subway - fitting right in


Christmas lights and decorations in the neighbourhood trees

NY fire escapes are the best backdrop ever!

Sami and Zach have become good friends and seem to enjoy each
others company - such an awesome thing to see

For all my choc-o-holic friends out there...yes, you know who you are - this is for you :-)

Union Square Christmas market reflections

My patient side kick 

Reflections in the sunshine at Union Square

Subway platform - I love the grittiness of the steel girder, its very 1930's

Zach & Sami in Times Square



Sami on the rink at Rockefeller Center

Such an amazing experience for us all!


Gorgeous Christmas decorations at the Rockefeller Center




30 Rock from the ice surface

Just gorgeous!

TW - the human Zamboni!

The lights at night are stunning

Reflections in the windows at the Rockefeller Center

Very festive lights under glass



I could very well be a replacement option if this breaks down...ouch!






Skates for rent


Night sky at the Rockefeller Center


Yes, that would be the ice surface at the end of our time - pretty chopped up


Large Christmas decorations on display

No other place like NYC at Christmas

Broadway shows

The Jackie Gleeson statue near the NYC Bus Terminal 


1 comment:

  1. Agree TW...No other place like NYC on Christmas and New Year...enjoy ur trip with the kids on road....And Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete