Friday, January 8, 2016

The "go-to" list

Welcome to Indelible Adventures!   You can also subscribe to my weekly distribution list via the Indelible Adventures website or browse my latest photos and upcoming adventures and travel tips.  In addition, if you'd like to follow me on social media see the links below. 

 Facebook -  Google+ - Twitter - Instagram - LinkedIn - ImageBrief National Geographic    
     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m often asked where am I going to travel this coming year.  Fortunately for me I always have a “go-to” list of places that I’d like to visit and explore, in fact a never-ending list of places as you can well imagine. ☺  

After another fantastic year of adventure, and more than ten weeks on the road this past year I feel invigorated and ready for more. As I write this, I laugh inwardly to myself as I distinctly remember my very first trip overseas (way back in the day…) in that, I naively thought that if I had this one big adventure that it would somehow satisfy my cravings and thirst for travel and adventure, and that I’d be able to come home, settle down and begin a “normal” life.  

If I was able to transport myself back in time and talk to my youthful self about life, I’d tell him not be afraid of breaking the norm and worrying about conformity of societal pressures and to be courageous and fully embrace a life of travel and exploration. 

Not that I would change a thing as I think I gave it my best shot at fitting into to what society expected of me – job, marriage, children (the most fulfilling part ever!), but in hindsight I always felt there was something missing and unfulfilled. I yearned for a life filled with travel and adventure – a life full of experiences and of creativity and flexibility.  

Strange isn’t it, as my life spent as a management consultant and senior executive feels like it couldn’t be further from what I yearned for…   Well, yes and no!   

I got the travel part as a consultant but business travel isn’t the same as exploration and adventure travel and I soon found that living out of my carryon, driving to and from a hotel/clients, then flying home was rather dull, lonely and unfulfilling.  No surprise I guess, but it helped me shape who I am today and for that I am thankful!

Okay, back to my list of go-to places for 2016.  By the way the following trips are in no particular order of priority.  Just saying in case you were wondering…

Indelible Trip #1:  Stockholm  This coming July I’m attending a Travel Writers conference in Stockholm, and clearly while I’m there I plan on spending time exploring this extremely beautiful country.  My last visit was in 1985 when I made Copenhagen my home base and spent three months exploring Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark top to bottom. Unfortunately I won't have three months to spend this time around. ☺

What’s not to love about Scandinavia?  From the amazing cultural sights to its spectacular natural beauty, Scandinavia is one of the world's most historic and accessible places on earth, yet also a little less well known.  Just the sort of place I can’t wait to get back to and explore!

Indelible Trip #2:  Australia  I’m taking Zach and Sami back to Australia for March Break so they can spend time with my family and learn a little more about where I’m from.  My family live mostly in Victoria and Tasmania, so we’re also planning a sojourn to Tassie as well to see my family in that part of the world while we're down there. They have fifteen first cousins and a further ten cousins once removed so it’s going to be a crazy two weeks.  

With Zach about to enter his final year of High School in September (yikes!), I thought that this was a good time to take them especially given that once he’s in University it will be much harder to coordinate a trip like this for the three of us.  I must admit it's a tad sad to think that our trips will become less frequent in the coming years as I've come to enjoy them so very much.

Clearly, two weeks is nowhere near long enough but a fun adventure for us all just the same! 

Indelible Trip #3:  Japan  It’s one of the places that I’ve always dreamt about exploring, but yet to experience…  I think in my mind's eye I’ve always wanted to explore the old Japan, with its mountains and countryside where I get to hike by day and stay in small Ryokan (inns) and experience traditional Japanese culture and way of life at night.

When to visit is the tricky part as ideally you’d want to also visit when the Cherry Blossoms bloom (Sakura) but this falls in the last week of March and first week of April, so doesn’t fit well with my travel plans to Australia.  Perhaps my visit will have to be in the fall, with the exquisite colors of the changing season, plus it will also be a little quieter from a tourist point of view.  

I also have a few other locales high up on my list that didn't make the top three but are top of mind as I plan out the months ahead.  They include:  AlaskaMorocco, China (especially Shanghai), Bhutan and Tibet.  Now, that's not to mention my perennial favourites of Italy (perhaps I should make that my home base), Vietnam, India and Spain.

So many choices!!!

The other thing you should know is that I'm open and available to travel with you, and/or your group as your guide. Food for thought as you consider your travel plans for this coming year.

If you have questions or would like to connect about an upcoming trip, please email me 
at terence@indelible-adventures.com

Ciao for now!

    
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hanoi Posting”

A series of micro-stories by Terence Wallis

Episode 27: Status

It was almost a week before Lea spoke to John again after the morning tea conversation.  

She knew he had no choice but to send Bill to Dhaka, after all it was the biggest story of the day and surprisingly she took great pride in the fact that he was now on the world stage, everything that he'd hoped for was coming true.  

His riveting account of the devastation and the relief efforts had been hard to grasp given the graphic nature of the stories, especially with the cholera epidemic that followed hot on the heels of the disaster.  All she could do is worry about his safety and tell herself that she'd take care of him once they were together again.  

As she boarded the elevator for her usual ride to her floor, the door was held just long enough for John to leap in.  Their eyes met as he boarded but the silence was deafening as it made its way slowly up, stopping floor after floor to deposit its human cargo until they were the last two onboard the slowly moving elevator. 

Lea was first to speak, "Look I'm sorry about the other day, of course you were right in sending him to Dhaka", John looked at her with a business like manner and said "yes I know".  She smiled a half smile, but at that moment the elevator jolted to halt and the door opened at her floor.  

The awkward silence prevailed as she exited and the doors slowly closed behind her.  She could feel his disappointment in the way he'd reacted to her half apology.  "Fuck, now he's angry with me as well" she chided.

John continued the ride up to his floor, deep in thought.  As soon as he stepped from the elevator his assistant was instantly at his side with a telex from Dhaka confirming that his local correspondent was indeed dead.  It took a moment for the impact to sink in, and another for him to realize that having Bill on the ground was the best decision he'd made. 

He'd been expecting this news, but it impacted him heavily as now his concern turned to Bill's welfare, knowing full well that the Cholera epidemic hadn't yet reached it zenith.  

John was not a religious man, but all he could do was pray for his safety in the aftermath of the disaster, after all he'd put him in harm's way and felt even more responsible...if that was possible.   

John silently prayed for them both, because if anything happened to Bill he would never forgive himself, nor would Lea...



Next week:  Episode 28  Advantage  

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's selection of photos is from a trip to Arizona - primarily Phoenix and Sedona.  So beautiful...  Enjoy!


Whenever you go to Phoenix you have to make a point of
climbing Camelback Mountain...  Amazing views on the climb up!


However, once on top the views are even more breathtaking

Something about the desert landscape that I love

What a sky!  It certainly feels bigger out west...


Commanding views - 360 degrees of beauty!

The beautiful and majestic Saguaro cacti growing on the mountain side at Camelback
Feels very prehistoric, not to mention spiky 

Ancient hieroglyphics on a rock at Taliesin West

Taliesin West - Frank Lloyd Wright's School of Architecture.  So awesome
and definitely worth the visit

The view of Camelback mountain far off in the distance taken from the ridge at Taliesin West

One of the original buildings and water feature built by Frank and his initial classes in the late 1930's
he hit water at 481 feet...

Taliesin West is still home to the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture
with its sister school Taliesin located in Wisconsin.  Students spend 7 mths per year in Arizona at this campus
and 5 mths in Wisconsin.  The Master's Program is extremely prestigious
and only accommodates 33 students in total.

Every feature of the campus was designed and built by Frank and/or his
students over the years - note the architectural flourishes so
common with Frank Lloyd Wright

Every line has been thought of in the design and building...

Also home to some amazing sculptures created at the center

In the sculpture garden at Taliesin West - just stunning!

Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix - not exactly like your run of the mill
garden setting

One of the best things about the Botanical Gardens is that they encourage you
to explore and climb...  I don't need to be asked twice!


The view from my first ascent to the top of the Big Butte in the park.  Note Camelback far off in the distance.

It was a tricky and somewhat tough climb, much harder than I expected,
but so rewarding once on top

Sedona and the majesty of the west

The Forest Services manage all of the National Parks - loved the old
style crest from the 1930's

Sunlight on water at the base of the mountains

Gnarled tree root in monochrome

A field of cairn stones decoratively arranged

Much of the rock is volcanic - note the air holes in the rock created by hot gases and lava 

River bank, with the sky reflected in the water - lovely colors

It's amazing what water can do to rock over the ages...

Mother nature in all her glory

Colors of the desert

I felt very "Ansel Adams" when I took this shot - lol.  Just something about
black and white that makes it timeless!

Flower on a desert cactus - stunning colors in the afternoon light






No comments:

Post a Comment